Pressure Cooking - pro recipes/techniques

Man of Honour
For my birthday a few friends got me the (Sage branded) Breville Fast Slow Pro electric pressure cooker.

Since learning that cooking involves more than sticking a frozen pizza in the oven I've never really dabbled with pressure cooking but the below technique sounded pretty crazy and piqued my interest. Bread made from egg yolks. Fun stuff:

http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html?p=2146.html

I've also ran my first experiment with making stock, which was pretty successful. Certainly less hassle than traditional methods though I actually expected the flavour extraction from the meat to be a little higher (I'll probably combine some of the techniques I've seen on ChefSteps for this and use browned mince).

Does anyone have any tips or go-to recipes for pressure cookers?

Associate
It's good for doing Dulce de Leche quicker. Quick Google turned up this.

If you've got the stones you could try pressure cooker fried chicken!

Personally don't trust the things. Probably a bit irrational to be fair, but I'd rather wait a bit longer! :p

Associate
How odd, I got a pressure cooker today although it's a stovetop one!

I was looking for recipes too, I generally browse Kenjis stuff on serious eats, he has a couple of good pressure cooker recipes.

I'm going to try his adapted version of the 'Texas style Chile Con Carne' as the traditional one is awesome. Will do some stock.

Over the next couple of days I'm going to browse the net for recipes. I know ChefSteps have a few pressure cooker recipes.

These Bananas look interesting, good for deserts and Banana bread.

I'm always interested in trying different Chicken Wing recipes so may try this.

If I find something that looks good I'll post a link here :)

For Dulce de Leche btw I just sous vide it, Just stick the can of condensed milk in the tub and let it rib for like 12ish hours.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
Nice, I got the same one (though Breville obv.) but won't be using it for a couple months until I've moved - more counter space \o/

The Hip pressure cooking site has some recipes which look pretty good, and more interesting than just 'cook chilli in a fraction of the time'. Also there are some good 'one-pot' meals where you cook two things at once using the steamer basket. (http://www.hippressurecooking.com/)

Last edited:
Associate
The Modernist Cuisine guys do some really good stuff with it (quite a lot is in the "at home" book) like garlic confit (incredibly useful to give a base and flavour enhancer for many things as well as great oil to work with, rendering fat (great for adding flavour in grilling - I know the end of summer will not stop you!), making stocks (try their chicken one), making intensely flavoured vegetable purees/soups, chicken wings or canned wort starters for the brewing (also great for sterilising jars for yeast and silicone tubing for transfers).

Associate
To save googling and keeping a nice thread of info going on here...

Whats the advantage of a pressure cooker?

Speed, flavour, amount of ingredients needs?

Associate
Essentially, pressure and temperature are interlinked. A pressure cooker operates about 2 bar (twice atmospheric pressure); at this pressure water boils at around 120 °C. So for example, a braised dish which would normally be simmered at 98 or 99 °C, could now be cooked at 118 °C, cooking it more quickly.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I use mine mostly for stews. Basic ratio is about 500g beef, one onion roughly chopped, 2 peeled carrots, tablespoon of tomato puree, 1 Oxo cube and about a pint of water to cover. I'll usually throw a handful of pearl barley in with that and it'll make 3 portions for me. Texture of the meat is so lovely and fall-apart and soft. It does awesome goulash as well.

Cooking times on mine are approximately:
Stewing steak or shin, 25-30 mins
Beef cheek, 35 mins
Pork cheeks, 30 mins
Oxtail, 40-45 mins
Lamb shanks, ~45 mins, sometimes need an extra 10-15 mins
Chicken stock (2-3 carcasses), 25-30 mins for a clear stock, 45 mins for a heavy one

Guess my key tip is to use a little more liquid than normal and thicken it after cooking, otherwise it has a habit of catching on the bottom. Get meat with plenty of gristly looking stuff because it all melts out and makes better gravy. Lean meat doesn't stew so well :p

Soldato
The Pressure Cooker thread

Recently got myself a instapot and am really enjoying the process of discovering new recipes and speeding up old classics.

Ive tried these its so easy and bloody lovely.

Love cooking my chicken in the pressure cooker, its so quick!

Made a variation of this for christmas day pudding and it was a real winner.

I pressure cooked 2 pheasants and 2 partridges before christmas used the meat for pies and sandwiches. The bones I placed in the pressure cooker for 4 hours and made a bone broth, this was used to make the christmas day gravy for the turkey...trust me a game gravy is delicious.

Any other pressure cooker converts out there? Ive not used my slow cooker since buying this. the flavours are pretty intense.

rotters

Soldato
What is the go to not ridiculously expensive pressure cooker these days? Think I've seen a few pressure kings mentioned which at £50 is palatable! (no pun intended)

Man of Honour
OP
What is the go to not ridiculously expensive pressure cooker these days? Think I've seen a few pressure kings mentioned which at £50 is palatable! (no pun intended)

That's the cheapest decent one I've heard of. Instant Pot used to be quite cheap but lately have shot up. You could look online for an older model though?

Back
Top Bottom