Supporting information on an application form

Associate
A mate and I have decided to let the members of OCUK forums decide the answer to a debate we are having.

I am applying for a new job. The Job description/spec has 27 essential criteria. It has no desirable criteria.

My mate says that in your supporting information you should cover all 27 essential criteria within the 1500 word maximum.

I say that is nonsense. I say that would leave me with about 55 words for each of the 27 essential criteria. I say you only need to cover stuff in your supporting information that doesn’t match the essential criteria elsewhere in your application.

For example, let’s say three of the essentials on the job spec are

Experience of co-producing and co-delivering courses.

Good IT skills.

Project management skills

According to my mate’s way of thinking in my supporting information I should demonstrate/prove I have experience of co-producing and co-delivering courses, I have good IT skills and I have project management skills.
I say I have shown previously in the application form that I have good IT skills by my previous nine year IT work history, my IT qualifications and my current use of IT both at work and at home. Therefore why waste words in my supporting information talking about my IT skills? Also where it says another essential is experience of co-producing and co-delivering courses, I do that in my current role. In the earlier part of the application form it asks what your duties are in your current role. In that part of the application I have stated part of my current duties are to co-produce and co-deliver courses. As I have stated that I say why waste words in my supporting information stating I have experience of co-producing and co-delivering courses. My mate disagrees and says I should still cover it in my supporting information.

So GD do I

A) Try and cover all 27 essential criteria in my supporting information and under the 1500 word count?

Or

B) Use the supporting information as a way to match the essential criteria I have not matched elsewhere in my application?

Associate
27 essential criteria is insane. Other than that it's impossible to know the answer without knowing how it'll be sifted. Where I work you would need to cover all the essential criteria within the word count, including evidence beyond general statements to show how you meet them, you won't get that in 55 words each.

Back
Top Bottom