Antivirus on Windows 10

Soldato
Hi

Very, very long time since I last posted here.

I'm getting back in to the Windows game since moving to Mac around 10 years ago and wondered what is the deal with antivirus software these days?

Do you still need 3rd party software or is the built in defender good enough?

Thanks

Associate
You could also try Bitdefender free which is more effective than the built-in solution. It's doesn't offer extensive control like other free solutions but is light on resources and only intrudes when it finds something.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
You could also try Bitdefender free which is more effective than the built-in solution. It's doesn't offer extensive control like other free solutions but is light on resources and only intrudes when it finds something.

Very true a good simple solution. Only negative, and a few other free AV are guilty is you cannot enter exclusions or tweak the behaviour. This irritated me as I regularly use 3rd party tools which can trigger false positives - I dont want them quaranteened or deleted.

So far the best that offers some leeway is Panda. I will try Sophos soon but it wouldnt install on my main rig.

Soldato
I just use windows defender, I don't feel the need for anything more, I VERY occasionally run an online check just for peace of mind and have never had a problem.

Soldato
With Sophos are the memory resources reasonable. ?

Have been using Avira for 4 years and its real time scanner avguard.exe regularly sits at 700MB so I am ready to try something new.

Real time scanning exist in Sophos too I see

For real-time scanning, the following options are enabled:

Scan on read
Scan on write
Scan system memory
Scan remote files
Automatically clean up malware (if clean-up fails, then deny access)
Detect malicious behavior (HIPS)
Detect network traffic to command and control servers
Block access to malicious websites
Scan downloads in progress
Detect low-reputation files
Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA) scanning
PUAs are blocked by default. Once detected you will need to either authorize the application in policy or clean up the application from the Dashboard.
Scans executable files (does not unnecessarily scan files which cannot infect a computer)
Sophos Live Protection

Like Avira this behaviour is intrusive looking at read/writes of all processes, but seems as though it could be useful.
For those suggesting Microsoft option I am not sure it had anything similar ? so I would (wrongly ?) discard it on that basis.

Soldato
I use Kaspersky or Bitdefender on many machines. Malwarebytes also. You can get a 5 user Kaspersky licence on the Rainforest for a great price.

I purchased Bitdefender Total Security 2016, three years multi licence for £8, last week I upgraded it to Bitdefender Total Security 2017(free upgrade), no issues and brilliant AV, never really know it's there and yes works great with Win10, better detection, a lot more options and features then Defender, plus very light on CPU usage.

Back
Top Bottom