Mauritius

Associate
So I am off to Mauritius in April/May next year to the North East of the Island for 10 days and just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the island and so things to do?

Soldato
Go to both markets in Port Louis, but don't take lots of cash to the locals market and prepare to be heckled! Seakarting is worth doing too.

Soldato
I stayed at the Lux Grande Gaube which is the same region you're going. Lovely people and surroundings. When we went we didn't venture out too much as we had aimed to just relax at the resort.

Obviously lots of snorkeling available as well as wildlife parks and nature reserves.

Enjoy! Would love to go again

Associate
OP
Cool thanks both. Wasn't sure what it would be like as it seems quiet but a lot of people thats been there have said it's a stunning place to go too.

Soldato
April/May should be brilliant. The beaches in the North are great and very clean. Apart from activities offered at the hotel, there's not a whole lot to do in the North though unless you are into the night life which Grand Baie is good for. The closest attraction is Pamplemousses botanical garden which is worth spending a few hours in. Port Louis is worth spending a day in for the markets and general wandering round. It is a very hectic place though.

You should definitely venture down south to the Black River Gorges National Park, Chamarel, Le Morne as the region has some spectacular views. In fact, if you don't mind hiking, they've just opened a trail to climb to the top of Le Morne.

Also, enjoy the local food as much as you can. I know some people tend to stay in their hotels for lunch but I'd recommend eating out. It's cheaper and more authentic.

Soldato
I spent two weeks there with work last month. I was in the north west (Balaclava Intercontinental) where the beaches are taken over by hotels - but are still accessible to public. The south has some great beaches some still 'natural', i.e. not taken by hotels.
I went Scuba diving in spare time which is amazing. Definitely worth doing this. I don't have PADI certs but was still able to dive after doing some training in a pool.
Port Louis is worth seeing (I would say you only need to go once may be twice unless you are after a night out) It was quite run down imo - especially the less touristy market. However the market on the water front is nice and great for gifts. Night out in that area was quite good as well. There was a rum tasting event on at one of the hotels where you can fill your glass for 300 rupees I think it was.
There was also a nature reserve where you can walk freely with lions which sounded quite cool (I've heard rumours they are drugged so are docile though!)

Man of Honour
Gorgeous place to get away from it all. Fantastic hotels, world class beaches, lovely people and things to see and do inland too. My advice is take a helicopter tour of the island and also hire a speedboat and go out to get close to dolphins. Also hire a Suzuki jeep and go for a drive around the island as that is the best way to see stuff.

Associate
We enjoyed the walking with the lions experience. Also coconut island and exploring Port Louis were great.

Soldato
April/May should be brilliant. The beaches in the North are great and very clean. Apart from activities offered at the hotel, there's not a whole lot to do in the North though unless you are into the night life which Grand Baie is good for. The closest attraction is Pamplemousses botanical garden which is worth spending a few hours in. Port Louis is worth spending a day in for the markets and general wandering round. It is a very hectic place though.

You should definitely venture down south to the Black River Gorges National Park, Chamarel, Le Morne as the region has some spectacular views. In fact, if you don't mind hiking, they've just opened a trail to climb to the top of Le Morne.

Also, enjoy the local food as much as you can. I know some people tend to stay in their hotels for lunch but I'd recommend eating out. It's cheaper and more authentic.

What he said. We're born Mauritians and go back every couple of years or so.

If you rent a car, technically the rules are the same as here, but courtesy and discipline is hard to come by. I've been told getting a taxi isn't that much more expensive than an organised coach, but more flexible. Public buses don't go everywhere. Lots of golf courses, and activities available down the south west too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom