massdrop sennheiser HD6XX $199

Soldato
Unsurprisingly christmas is nearly here and massdrop is dropping yet another bargain basement deal

i knew what it was when they leaked the teaser not sure how i feel about it but you can't complain at the price really

Soldato
Thing is, with the terrible exchange rate, cost of delivery and import duty, it would probably be cheaper to buy the HD650 (which is what these really are) from the rain forest.

Soldato
OP
Thing is, with the terrible exchange rate, cost of delivery and import duty, it would probably be cheaper to buy the HD650 (which is what these really are) from the rain forest.

yes i know especially once you factor in the classic massdrop cable replacement

Sadly theres been a sharp rise in costs in the past few weeks the HD600 is back up at 350! 650 is 249 at the moment

Caporegime
***No referrals***

i haven't had anything decent yet. i ended up giving away all the little items i've gotten so far.

i'm thinking about getting these to compliment my HD600's.

anyone found out what makes them different apart from the cable to the HD650? will the cable be a cheaper one you reckon?

Associate
Seems with most forums favoring the hd600 over hd650 that prices now reflecting that on the rainforest, interesting to now see the change.

Soldato
oh not that arguement again. a sample of a 156 people does not a blanket statement make. especially when that sample comes from headfi of all places.

Amazon is one of the cheapest places to buy the 650s right now and one of the most expensive to buy the 600's - their 600 price is not an indication of popularity. It's nothing of the sort. Besides which, the 600's were £180 in April, you think the increase since then is because of their sudden popularity?

Amazon are normally amongst the cheapest for just about everything they sell, so right now the 600 pricing is an exception. SO, either the hd600 price is a sign of things to come and the 650's will increase by a similar amount, or its a result of constrained supply and it'll soon drop back down again. Just wait and see :)

Last edited:
Associate

Honestly this isn't an attack on Headfi but don't take them too seriously. The 650 measures better than the 600 and is also a more resolving and refined headphone which is why the RRP is £100 more than the HD600. The HD600 is still popular but more new buyers will go for the 650 because of has improvements over the 600.

The HD600 has a more audiophile tuning which is upper mid or treble boost with a bass roll off so it would be more popular with older folk but these days the 650 is mentioned way more than the 600. Why do you think the HD6XX is a 650 and not a 600?

It is just preference at the end of the day some don't like the 650 tuning and some don't like the 600 I don't usually like comparing them because they have enough differences to be sidegrades.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
some people like the slightly brighter sound of the 600 others like the "lush" mids of the 650's it boils down to preference and purchase bias sadly

Back
Top Bottom