• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Associate
I wouldn't recommend the MSIs for crossfire, I'm not sure about the rest.

I wouldnt recommend Crossfire on any card at the moment (or SLI for that matter).

However, if the results of the first proper iteration of DX12 MGPU are to go by, then the future may be a bit brighter for those with multiple cards. They have the RX480 using DX12 MGPU on Deus Ex Mankind Divided and have got 59% scaling at the first attempt which will inevitably get better as they go along. The best thing is, is that it improves on the Frametimes too, so the performance is smooth.

https://youtu.be/86tp-qRKG58

:)

Associate
recently purchased the rx 480 sapphire nitro+ oc 8gb but have noticed my core and memory clock speed fluctuate randomly while playing games. sometimes if i exit game then load back up the clock and mem speed return to what they state 1342/2000.

just wondering if this is normal for these cards or is there something going on with it?

Associate
As GizF1 said, the power efficiency toggle within Crimson should be the first thing you check. Then check your temps.. are the fans spinning?

Associate
nope power efficiency is turned off and the temps dont go over 40-45c while in game. not tried any benchmark tools yet to see what the full load temp is. just find it strange how random it keeps changing each time i load games up etc. when it fluctuates the gpu load is usually at 100% aswell and when its at 1342 clock speed the gpu load rarley goes over 55%

Associate
strange. what version of drivers are you running? Could be a conflict with that.. maybe it needs a little reinstall?

I can say for sure that, in game, mine sticks at 100% load and temps go up to the 70's 80's.

Associate
driver version is 16.10.3 which i thought was the latest ones but just checked and theres been a "hot fix" 16.11.1 so going try them and see what happens

*edit*

installed 16.11.1 and still get the same problem. gpu is at 100% and core speed fluctuating between 500-950, mem changes from 300-2000 and pretty much the same times the core bounces about

Last edited:
Associate
ok.. next i would check the "bios switch" on the card. it's right next to the led switch. if it's pointing towards the display connectors then you are in "quiet mode". Maybe this also reduces the boosting.

Associate
the bios switch was pointing away from the connectors so tried it in the "quiet mode" and still the same happened. i ran fur mark this time and the clocks still world not reach what they were supposed to be at..... but i put the power limit % to +50 in msi after burner and hay presto it now runs at full speed lol bit of a pain in the arse if you ask me, hope newer drivers sort this out in the future

Soldato
Thought I'd post a pic of the (under)voltages I'm testing atm, seems stable :)

voltages.png

Associate
it rarely went to 500, mostly around the 950 mark and sometimes over. googled a lot and read the rx 480's had power issues from release but drivers had fixed this issue so im still a little confused as to why i have to put it to +50% on the power limit to get it to run properly. i have a 650watt psu so power really shouldn't be an issue

Associate
I've had mine on +50 since I had it as it was a known thing to do with the 480

If I can get my boy off the PC I'll put it back down and test what happens as I really can't remember.

The release power issues were to do with it taking too much power over the pci-e slot. The power limit is set low on default to make it look like it uses less power overall. They aren't related.

How long do you have to play for before the clocks drop? What games?

Giz

Associate
the clocks didnt even reach full speed they floated about from the get go. was testing mainly on wow but did try project cars and few others just to make sure and it did the same.

ive done some tinkering with undervolting etc and it now sits at +30% power limit and at lower volts on phases 5,6 and 7 on wattman and 2100 mem with no issues so im leaving it at that for now.

the card was pulling 200 watt before but now its at 170-175 watt with the tinkering ive done. which i beleive is what the stated power for this card

Associate
Did a fire strike run and 15 mins Witcher 3 and mine stayed between 1200 and 1250mhz

Yep 30% sounds about right and under volting works really well

Glad you got it sorted

Back
Top Bottom