BSOD - WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Associate
Hi guys, I've got a bit of strange one...

I posted this in the windows section earlier but in hindsight, here is a better place. can a mod please delete my other thread? thanks.

I have a laptop which is a couple of years old and it's been running Windows 10 since it became available with no issues. Recently it starting coming up with the BSOD (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR).

I have tried everything from re-installing windows, SMART check on the hdd, then swapped out HDD for another just in case, ran Intel processor diagnostic (came back fine), ran a memory test (again, no issues).

I then started going through the BIOS playing with the settings and seem to have solved the issue (for now). I switched off the "processor dynamic switching" feature in the BIOS and there has been no more BSODs. If I turn that feature back on, the machine won't even boot into windows... it goes straight to the BSOD.

I've used windbg and it either blames the processor or memory...

Has anyone ever experienced something similar? Has running the processor at a lower frequency only delayed the issue from coming back or is there a link to a recent windows update or something? I'd rather not fork out on a new laptop if can be avoided...

Thanks for any help.

Soldato
What does that feature do out of interest? Just wondering if it's something to do with the clocks or voltage changing which is making it unstable and blue screen.

It's one of the least helpful errors going sadly, literally stands for Windows Has Encountered An Uncorrectable Error...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What does that feature do out of interest? Just wondering if it's something to do with the clocks or voltage changing which is making it unstable and blue screen.

It's one of the least helpful errors going sadly, literally stands for Windows Has Encountered A Uncorreftable Error...

The description in the BIOS seems to indicate that the CPU frequency is dynamic and is adjusted in proportion to load. I have set it to "Always low" and the BSOD has gone away (for now). It's just really strange as it's never happened before and I haven't changed anything. The only thing I can think of is that the CPU or motherboard is in the process of dying or a windows update has caused some kind of instability. Would be really interested if anyone has come across the same/a similar issue before.

Cheers

EDIT: Google has a better description...

Dynamic CPU frequency (and core-voltage) switching permits the CPU to work only as much as it needs to, thus saving energy. This becomes extremely critical feature on Laptops, where energy savings translate into longer period of usage without the need to recharge. Also less frequent battery recharges, means a higher battery life.

Without CPU frequency switching, the power consumption remains almost constant (variations coming from peripheral usage, e.g. hard-disk spinning or not, CDR-drive being in-use or not etc. Another big benefit of frequency switching is to reduce heating, and as a result fan-speed and as a result noise level.

Back
Top Bottom