BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Cheers.

Other than full service and cooling system refresh I need to diagnose a P0174 error which could be an intake leak/vac apparently (possibly MAF or O2). P1630 is present too, but that's the thermo which will be dealt with as part of the cooling system overhaul.

Would you replace the rad as part of preventative maintenance? It looks fine but I'm wondering whether just to change it anyway. I'm told it is pretty obvious when they are about to die? Other than the thermostat error, cooling wise, the car is running fine, doesn't use coolant, no leaks, sits at temp etc.

Soldato
Cheers.

Other than full service and cooling system refresh I need to diagnose a P0174 error which could be an intake leak/vac apparently (possibly MAF or O2). P1630 is present too, but that's the thermo which will be dealt with as part of the cooling system overhaul.

Would you replace the rad as part of preventative maintenance? It looks fine but I'm wondering whether just to change it anyway. I'm told it is pretty obvious when they are about to die? Other than the thermostat error, cooling wise, the car is running fine, doesn't use coolant, no leaks, sits at temp etc.

I'm assuming this is an M54 engined E46/E39 generation car?

If there is no evidence the rad has been replaced in it's lifetime definitely replace it with the thermostat, hoses and expansion tank. I made the mistake of replacing things bit by bit which got quite frustrating and time consuming! I also made the mistake of buying cheap components which is a real false economy, buy BMW or OEM and you can't go far wrong. I also have a lot of good things to say about Febi, everything I have bought has been very high quality.

Soldato
Yeah, E46 325i which I'm getting quite cheap so I don't mind spending a few pennies on it.

It had a water pump a while back but the rest looks original.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;30176518 said:
Focus 1.6 Zetec!

You'll be pleased to know I took your advice well almost, I picked up in 2013 titanium X 1.0 work 125 BHP. Really nice little car with full leather.

The M6 Sold

F43C80D4-0AFD-404A-A33F-C622058813F1_zpswtiio77n.jpg

Soldato
Yeah, E46 325i which I'm getting quite cheap so I don't mind spending a few pennies on it.

It had a water pump a while back but the rest looks original.

I wouldn't bother changing the rad tbh (assuming it looks good) providing you're comfortable with the prospect of having to drain the system unexpectedly one dat and having it off the road wouldn't be a big deal

You'll be pleased to know I took your advice well almost, I picked up in 2013 titanium X 1.0 work 125 BHP. Really nice little car with full leather.

The M6 Sold

Good little engine the ecoboost

Soldato
I wouldn't bother changing the rad tbh (assuming it looks good) providing you're comfortable with the prospect of having to drain the system unexpectedly one dat and having it off the road wouldn't be a big deal

What about the expansion tank? Again, no leaks visible.

I took the DISA valve out today, there is some play in it but it closes fine, I didn't realise there is a check to see how it closes by putting your thumb over one of the holes, so I'll do that next time I get it out - again, it's not making any sounds.

The car has over 140k miles so I'm wondering whether just to do the cooling system anyway...looking at a little over £200 for the lot I reckon.

Soldato
Mahle/Behr is pretty good and OEM for some parts like thermostats. Meyle, however, isn't good in my experience.

Mann is the OEM for most BMW air/pollen/oil/fuel filters so they are normally as good as what you buy from BMW. A fuel filter I bought from BMW was a Mann filter in a BMW box.

Out of interest what caused the poor Meyle experience? Just curious as I always thought the Meyle HD range of suspension components were meant to be good.

Have got the a little bit of the E39 shimmy going on so am doing drop links and thrust arms soon. Was going to go Meyle HD, but there's just so many brands. Could do Lemforder from ECP with 30% code for similar money for OEM, but many reckon the Meyle HD parts are an upgrade.

Soldato
Out of interest what caused the poor Meyle experience? Just curious as I always thought the Meyle HD range of suspension components were meant to be good.

Have got the a little bit of the E39 shimmy going on so am doing drop links and thrust arms soon. Was going to go Meyle HD, but there's just so many brands. Could do Lemforder from ECP with 30% code for similar money for OEM, but many reckon the Meyle HD parts are an upgrade.

I haven't any experience with the HD bushings but I have heard good things about them so I would say they are an exception to the rule. I've also had Meyle brake disks on my 330d which were actually really good quality and better than OEM due to their electocoating. It is just the things like power steering and cooling components which seem to be below par.

Soldato
What about the expansion tank? Again, no leaks visible.

I took the DISA valve out today, there is some play in it but it closes fine, I didn't realise there is a check to see how it closes by putting your thumb over one of the holes, so I'll do that next time I get it out - again, it's not making any sounds.

The car has over 140k miles so I'm wondering whether just to do the cooling system anyway...looking at a little over £200 for the lot I reckon.

Up to you really, depends how old and crappy it all looks but it's not particularly expensive either way like you say. I prefer waiting a bit to figure out what's really wrong with anything new to me before doing preventative stuff

If the disa doesn't rattle and isn't falling apart just leave it alone, rebuild kit is cheap enough anyway

Soldato
Up to you really, depends how old and crappy it all looks but it's not particularly expensive either way like you say. I prefer waiting a bit to figure out what's really wrong with anything new to me before doing preventative stuff

If the disa doesn't rattle and isn't falling apart just leave it alone, rebuild kit is cheap enough anyway

Other than the fact that when stuff fails, like the DISA, it will destroy the engine. Or when the expansion tank fails it will leave you stranded and could cook the engine. For the peace of mind that it will be good for another 100k miles it is worth doing everything in one hit.

Soldato
Other than the fact that when stuff fails, like the DISA, it will destroy the engine. Or when the expansion tank fails it will leave you stranded and could cook the engine. For the peace of mind that it will be good for another 100k miles it is worth doing everything in one hit.

Let's not be dramatic

The DISA won't destroy the engine unless you ignore it rattling away for months at a time

Expansion tank could well mean needing to get the car home but it's pretty unlikely you'd manage to cook the engine - you'd wonder what the massive plume of steam was long before the coolant drained from the block

It's not that I think it's not worth considering, I just wouldn't rush into changing multiple components on a car you don't know yet

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Quick question I hope but what are the advantages of the hybrid 335i over the standard 335i as I personally can't see what the hybrid offers beyond the 335i?

There are basically no advantages which is why the used market absolutely despises them and why they seem like good value versus a 335i.

I almost bought an ActiveHybrid 5 twice but bottled it for this reason - nobody seems to want them and BMW themselves couldn't tell me whether the Hybrid battery system was covered by the extended warranty - which specifically states batteries are not covered but seems to have been written before Hybrids existed.

It is effectively a 335i with a more unique transmission setup and a huge pile of batteries to drag around. It's electric range is limited to less than 2 miles at low speed.

Edit:

LOL, they are now EVEN CHEAPER!

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/Hybrid/3....90751-605986810-3497128.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

There is an AH5 M Sport on a '14 for 21k too. Every time I discounted them and decided they were a complete minefield they'd get even cheaper. Seems the trend hasn't been bucked. There must be some point at which they make a good buy but I've no idea where that might be or how you'd ever get rid of it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There is a single glaring spec omission - no sport automatic transmission so you get the crap plastic shifter. Very odd to see it missing on a 535d especially one with such a huge specification otherwise.

Lets move onto the price.

It is expensive - especially given it's 2 years old and has 40k miles on it and it's from a private seller. Much of this is because it's a 535d Touring with a large spec but it's still a consideration. I would suggest it's probably 'worth' the asking price because of what it is, but it's a lot for a car of that age and mileage IMHO.

Some considerations about that mileage:

a) The service package runs out in 9k miles time despite it only being 2 years old
b) If you do more than 19k in the next year you won't be able to renew the warranty at the lower rate

Other than that what more is there to say? It's a stunning car.

There is no substance to my next comment but is's a surprisingly weirdly written advert. I can't put my finger on why it seems odd, I guess I have this old fashioned view that somebody selling a car like that privately, therefore not on finance, would be perhaps a tad more eloquent and better at grammar :p Also why is there only a single photograph of the exterior of the car?! The wheel photograph is a library shot from a different car... Just feels odd.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom