Overwatch

Soldato
I've just picked this up and I'm having a blast with it but I can't help but think that it would be so much better with a premade group.

I'm not the best but I've played 15 matches so far and won 12, maybe because I have around 500 hours in TF2.

If anyone feels like adding me, I'm always active on voice comms and my bnet name is Substance#2837

Soldato
Sombra does look pretty cool, and I can't wait to see how it affects the gameplay... Purely reacting to the gameplay I've seen so far I wonder if it might create a bit of a similar situation with sombra/tracer to the mcree/soldier situation prior to some of their more recent balance tweaks; i.e. two heroes which fill quite similar niches in many regards...

Also the lack of spread and fire rate of that SMG looks a bit scary - would expect it to be brutal up close as that's the idea with a cloaking/stealth type close range fighter, but in the gameplay I've seen it looked to be doing a fair bit of damage at longer ranges (poor Pharah again...) and maybe a bit too powerful (half of Rein's health with 1 clip of bodyshots)

Soldato
Sombra does look pretty cool, and I can't wait to see how it affects the gameplay... Purely reacting to the gameplay I've seen so far I wonder if it might create a bit of a similar situation with sombra/tracer to the mcree/soldier situation prior to some of their more recent balance tweaks; i.e. two heroes which fill quite similar niches in many regards...

Also the lack of spread and fire rate of that SMG looks a bit scary - would expect it to be brutal up close as that's the idea with a cloaking/stealth type close range fighter, but in the gameplay I've seen it looked to be doing a fair bit of damage at longer ranges (poor Pharah again...) and maybe a bit too powerful (half of Rein's health with 1 clip of bodyshots)

I fully expect the clip to be nerfed down from 60 to 40... As you say there is great damage at range and even more so up close.

Associate
I think I am doomed to stay just sub-2500 unless I can actually improve my teamwork a bit. Placed 2479, lost a few, climbed to 2495, then lost a few. Back to 2496, then lost 4 in a row...

Soldato
Competitive Play's second season will end on November 23 at 4PM PDT (November 24 at 0:00 UTC), and the third season will begin on November 30 at 4PM PDT (December 1 at 0:00 UTC). During the week-long off season, you'll still be able to queue for matches using the Competitive Play ruleset, but your skill rating will not be affected and no Competitive Points will be awarded.

We've also made a few adjustments to the skill rating system for season 3. Players will be distributed more broadly across the skill tiers, which means that your season 3 rating will probably be lower than the previous season.

Developer Comments: When season 2 started, we had more players in the Gold and Platinum skill tiers than we originally intended. This meant that skill levels varied widely for players within those tiers, and some players were achieving inappropriately high rankings during their placement matches. These players typically began the season by having their skill rating adjusted downwards after their first few matches. For season 3, skill ratings will be slightly lower after your placement matches, allowing them to increase as the season begins. After you play enough matches, your skill rating changes will return to normal.

Soldato
Had a go with Sombre earlier,

- Very interesting, especially the med-pack hacks (how fast they regenerate).
- Her fire rate is similar to tracer, very good close-up.
- The teleport allows you to go fairly aggressive to try and get a hack / kill, then teleport back instantly (much faster then reaper)

Soldato
I think I am doomed to stay just sub-2500 unless I can actually improve my teamwork a bit. Placed 2479, lost a few, climbed to 2495, then lost a few. Back to 2496, then lost 4 in a row...

I think the most important thing to focus on improving is your aim. I have terrible teamwork (I focus 90% on killing people and 10% on the objective) but since my aim is above average I can break 3000 SR.

Make sure you're using a low sens and no acceleration etc.

Associate
I think the most important thing to focus on improving is your aim. I have terrible teamwork (I focus 90% on killing people and 10% on the objective) but since my aim is above average I can break 3000 SR.

Make sure you're using a low sens and no acceleration etc.

I think my aim's generally OK.
A couple months ago I lowered sens from ~12 to 7.5, and since then have been doing better.

With McCree I can 1-v-1 most opponents (overbuff shows 50% accuracy, but I don't trust that site very much), I can shoot pharah out the sky as Mei, generally keep my scoped and unscoped accuracy over 60% when playing Ana etc. I can't think of many situations where I thought "one more shot on target and I would have got them" except playing as zarya with her annoyingly intermittent beam.

It's also no problem getting multiple medals (not uncommon to get 4 golds and a bronze/silver with Soldier).

The bigger problem is definitely in my teamwork - if I can get behind their lines and kill both healers, but don't manage to sync it so my team pushes, I will easily get golds but I'm not realistically improving the chances of our team's winning. I'm thinking of challenging myself to stick with the tanks, or choose another player and follow them, supporting their plays rather than making my own, see how that goes. I also need to learn some characters better.

First ever comp game as reaper the other day, when someone recommended I swap off McCree on Ilios Well. I got a 5-player death blossom kill (achievement and spray!) and PotG, but as I only have 10 minutes on him I have no idea if I could have done more (i.e. was it good play, or a lucky 'press Q' moment?). I also need to learn Winston, as he's a very good counter to some compositions.

Soldato
Sombra is good fun - like an upgraded tracer really.

She will be very annoying when players get good at using her!

New "arcade" games are good fun 1 v 1, 3 v 3 etc etc.

Associate
Finally finished placement matches! Guys I play with wanted to do them together this time but one of them was always missing so was quite hard to get together. Placed 2512 with 6 wins, 3 loses and 1 draw, fairly happy with that and think can improve on that some.

I was 2nd in our group, first placed around 2700, and our lowest guy was about 2200.

Caporegime
Finally finished placement matches! Guys I play with wanted to do them together this time but one of them was always missing so was quite hard to get together. Placed 2512 with 6 wins, 3 loses and 1 draw, fairly happy with that and think can improve on that some.

I was 2nd in our group, first placed around 2700, and our lowest guy was about 2200.

I think season 2 ends in 7 days.

Soldato
The new update couldn't come soon enough for me, was getting pretty tired of the same old boring and unskillful strategies rolling out every single game... Really hoping the more expensive ults will be a big game-changer (as otherwise we're simply biding our time until people discover the next cheesy un-fun strategy)

Caporegime
So I'm being lazy now, but other than Sombra being added what other changes have been made?

I went in to Quickplay last night after the patch and Sombra was greyed out at the hero select screen, but it was good as I hadn't played the game for about 5 weeks or something.

Sometimes a rest is all you need.

Associate
So I'm being lazy now, but other than Sombra being added what other changes have been made?

I went in to Quickplay last night after the patch and Sombra was greyed out at the hero select screen, but it was good as I hadn't played the game for about 5 weeks or something.

Sometimes a rest is all you need.

If you go to the Arcade modes you can get some easy loot boxes.

The 1v1 and 3v3 modes are fun - you have one life and there are no health pickups. had a quick go at 1v1 and went 4 - 0 up, lost one and ended on 5 - 1 - easiest loot box ever :)

They seem to have dropped the amount of points to get a loot box from 22k to 20k, but you might get fewer points for things now (but didn't seem that way)

Loads of nerfs and buffs to toons, but no doubt in a week every competitive match will follow the same pattern.

Had a quick play with Sombra, didn't really enjoy it, but probably just need to learn how to play her.

Back
Top Bottom