Mountain Biking

Caporegime
Considering it's pretty much November, wife and I were really pleased to get up into the mountains yesterday - topped out at 11650ft.

20161030_111349_resized.jpg

:cool:

Soldato
I previously posted about whether to change to a new hardtail or whether to go for a full suspension. Well since then I have worked out I am after a full suspension as I am wanting to use it on rougher trails. I have been looking and I didn't want to spend more than £1500 on a full suspension, I have seen the following two bikes and I am wondering, are they both decent? If so it it really just a case of buying the one I prefer the looks of?

If it helps I am not wanting anymore than 140mm travel as I want to be able to still climb well and I don't weigh much (64kg) so I would rather keep a little lighter on a bike.

2016 Cube Stereo 140 - £1290

The only issue on the spec on the cube I see is the brakes which are well below the XT groupset, I do have an SLX Ice tech M675 brakeset which can come off my current bike to balance it further. I have had a Manitou fork before and it felt good, anyone think I should stay away from it?

2016 Boardman FS Pro - £1282

The weak points of the Boardman I see it the stock long gearing, though I suppose I can fit a smaller front ring than 32T. The other one is the lack of dropper but I already have a 125mm Reverb which I would fit. Anyone got the GX groupset? I have only ever had Shimano before so not sure how good it is.

Oh and if I have seemed to overlook a bike I should be going for instead then please let me know.

Soldato
Thanks for the link Noakesy85, yeah I am after a trail bike, I am currently use to an XC hardtail. I have never used a 29" wheel mountain bike though so not sure what it will be like. What are the downsides to it being 29"?

I thought I would put the 3 bikes into a table to make it easier as some of those sites are horrid to use! As you can see the Cube and Boardman are hardly bad specs too. Plus it seems the 140mm version of the Cube has slacker geometry and is only a little steeper than the YT. With postage that YT is £1567, I'm not sure yet whether it is worth the additional £277 over the cube.

MTB.png

Caporegime
Slightly longer wheelbase, and reach (albiet not much) would be enough for me. The wheel size won't matter too much, if anything make it better for clibming. The Cube seems nice for the money.

The SRAM suspension is arguably better too. Plus the linkage system on the Jeffsy is meant to be great.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/yt-jeffsy-first-ride.html

It'd be my choice, then the Boardman after that.

But tbh, go with whatever you fancy. Or see if its possible to try them.

Last edited:
Associate
I saw an article recently that said that manufacturers of high end MTBs such as Orange will in future be replacing their standard 27.5inch wheels with the larger 29's. Apparently there's a bigger market out there for them than they thought.

Caporegime
So work could potentially be giving me a grant for some bikes.

I've got to put through the choice of three (no idea why, it's just the rules). The budget is probably going to be £700. My first thoughts are the VooDoo Bizango. Anyone got any other suggestions at this price range?

Back
Top Bottom