Xonar U7 - odd issue

Soldato
Soldato
Hi guys

I am having issues with my Xonar U7. Basically, each time my PC is turned on the Xonar has just a very slow flashing "speaker" light, and does not output any audio. I have to plug it into a USB wall charger (just a USB phone charger for example) using the USB cable it comes with for a few minutes, (during this the light stays on as normal), then plug back into my PC and it functions perfectly until the PC turns off again

If I don't leave it "charging" for long enough, when I put it back into the PC it still does not function correctly, so doesn't seem to be a driver issue

I don't have the original invoice as I purchased it off the MM and stupidly didn't ask for the invoice, so going back to OCUK or Asus is a no-go.

Does anyone know of this problem and/or a solution?

Thanks

Soldato
Is it using a USB 3.0 port? If so try it in a USB 2.0 port.

Most audio devices are only USB 2.0 compliant, I also have an external DVD drive that won't work on USB 3.0

Soldato
That seems very odd that plugging it into a USB charger somehow fixes the problem. I could possibly understand that if it had a battery, but being USB powered it shouldn't do. Not sure how leaving it connected to the USB charger for a longer period would have any effect. Bizarre.

I've seen some people mention about constant blinking speaker light with Windows 10. Certainly not the first and I'm sure it wont be the last time people having problems with sound cards and Windows 10.

Are you using Windows 10?

Soldato
The U7 and Windows 10 tends to have a whole bunch of issues for a lot of people.

Fortunately my Echelon Edition is doing fine. *Touch wood*

Anyway as suggested, because it's a USB 2.0 device, make sure it is only used on a USB2 port.

Perhaps switch between to USB 1.1 and back to 2.0 modes to see what happens?

Try another USB cable?

Or reinstall the drivers which for W10 users, make sure it is the "Windows 8 - 8.0.11.19 driver".

Soldato
If it's happening on two machines with different versions of Windows then I think it's a safe bet that it's faulty.

Has this always happened, ever since you got it?
I think USB power supplies generally put out more power than the USB sockets you get on a PC, so it could be that the USB power supply is charging up a wrong value (or faulty) capacitor that the PC USB is unable to do.

Soldato
How long was it used by time it was bought on the MM?

I see that on average and even by some people over at the U7 thread over at Head-Fi, build quality/longevity tends to be anywhere around 6 months to a year before this little thing starts crapping out, which is incredibly worrying and a shame. :(

Associate
I had 2 U7s do this to me,both after roughly a years worth of use each,i still have one of them kicking about,gonna try this USB charger trick and see if it works

They do seem to have a short lifespan sadly

Associate
Hi guys!

I know this is an old post but never solved.

Flashing "speaker" light is a common problem with Xonar U7 cards with CS6632A[X] chip. To fix the issue you just need to remove 2 capacitors.

My U7 doesn't work from any USB 2.0 ports, the LED is just dimly lit and then nothing happens (tried on multiple machines & multiple ports and cables). The only way to make it work is to connect it to an USB3.0 port or make a special power supply. And pay attention to the USB cable because the card draws more than 500 mA therefore it needs the USB 3.0 port's higher Amperage and a good quality cable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom