USB and HDMI extensions for Vive

Associate
Has anyone tried using longer cables between the PC and the Vive's breakout box?

I bought my Vive mainly for seated simming stuff - Assetto Corsa/DCS/ED etc - and the room that's in is only 2x2.5m so not much use for anything else. I do have a decent sized living room (4x5m) but dragging the computer through is a bit of a PITA and I'm missing out on the room scale stuff.

I found this guide which goes into some detail but wonder if anyone here has tried something similar? Reckon I need about an extra 10m to be on the safe side, which by the sounds of it means active cables and powered extenders.

Also, moving the lighthouse sensors isn't that big a deal but would be much simpler if I didn't also need to move the powersupplies (which are threaded intricately round the back of my desk). A pair of alternative power supplies which I can use in the living room would be very useful if anyone's aware of ones that'll work ok. I would have considered extra lighthouses but the asking price - particularly for a pair - is completely outrageous.

Associate
OP
So I took the plunge and went for a rather pricey pair of StarTech 10m HDMI and USB cables. I figured going for the less cheap options would give the best chance of it actually working.

I was still pretty skeptical connecting it up for the first time but the things actually work perfectly. There must be *some* extra latency because the laws of physics say so, but I honestly didn't notice any issues with either the display, tracking or controllers.

Even more surprisingly I discovered that when you start the SteamLink with SteamVR running it automatically gives you the option to run it in 'VR mode' where it mirrors the headset on the TV.

Now that's all running fine I just need to sort out what I'm gonna do with the lighthouses. Still think they're too expensive to justify buying another (assuming I could get away with just one for the seated stuff at my PC, haven't checked yet) so I'm gonna look into getting suitable power supplies so I can just disconnect and move the actual cubes.

Back
Top Bottom