• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4GB 960 > 1060 6GB?

Soldato
Currently run a bit of a frankenPC that acts as a media machine and living room games machine (i7-4790k, 16GB, 960 4GB) and I currently only game with Steam streaming / Moonlight as I have no room for a desk or dedicated gaming setup so Macbook Pro on the couch connected via ethernet is perfectly sufficient.

I currently play games like Battlefield 1 and Star Wars Battlefront at 1080p medium settings and usually achieve 60fps on the laptop so the performance is reasonable to a point.

Is it worth upgrading to the 1060 6GB in order to enable me to play the above games, streamed, at high or ultra settings? In the odd occasion I get to play on the living room TV I do enjoy the better graphics over a PS4 etc. and the newer cards of course have the advantage of lower power consumption and future proofing, but are they any better at streaming?

I've also thought about the AMD cards, namely the 480 but have heard that since 95% of my gaming is streamed, I should stick with nVidia?

Last edited:
Soldato
Then you KNOW the 1060 is significantly faster :)

I recently went from a 760 (not that far behind a 960) to a 1060, and the difference is significant. Subnautica went from around 40fps to somewhere north of 80.

It's also half the size... so the airflow in my case is much better so other things stay cooler. All around winner :)

Caporegime
To give you an ide then the 1060 6GB performs roughly the same as a 980. A decent enough jump but not mega (BUT the 1060 should max out those games np at 1080p) :)

Soldato
When I was betwixt gpus in my i7 4790k system I inserted my 750ti which kept a rock solid 60fps on battlefront at 1080p medium settings. I toyed with the idea of a 960 for ultra setttings but went with a 1060. It gives 100-120fps in ultra on battlefront. Even more really as in some maps (plain snowy one) I get that with 135% frame scaling on.

I'm sure a 960 would offer a good mix of ultra/high settings?

Even though 1060 rocks at battlefront.

Back
Top Bottom