Good custom exhaust places

Soldato
Custom chrome in Nuneaton are well known.

I wouldn't recommend them, having used them myself a bit and my Dad and bro used them.

Things they have done.

Dented/scratched cars
Only fitted half the hangers on a full system (only on one side)
Distorted the flange on a turbo downpipe, then tried to tighten it up so much that they wrecked the thread.

Probably a few other things I've forgot too. They were very expensive too.

Associate
Heard very good things about PTR Exhausts in Banbury :)

Good luck getting hold of them, I tried ringing, swinging by after work and emailing but had no luck. Tbh I personally started to think they might not be there any more.

That said, I had heard good things too, just figured if getting a quote for work was hard I didn't like the idea of dealing with any issues etc

Associate
My Valvetronic exhaust is a little different as the butterfly valve is pretty much inside the back box and the exhaust gases just take the path of least resistance when opened. The middle pipe splits at the front of the backbox then inside the backbox there are two pipes, the left is a straight pipe through the back box and out again, the right pipe if muffled within the back box. So when valve is shut gases escape out of only one pipe and when open flames only fire out of the one tail pipe.

My exhaust:

800600001g3nme2070-pb.jpg

800600001g3nme2070-p.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWax-rEnyKA

Remus have recently revised the design but still works very similar:

remus-cat-back-gen-3-kit-no-bg-lohen.jpg

RKDE is working on a different design for his Clubman which has twin tail pipes but on either side of the car rather than centre exit:

aUagVG3XWSYjtxzjCiDajJsdp39zKGZHdCZeP4UJi6_Y7dyEE7oyaMq2fNtXCZo99p1jIBkAlm3vikMt5F315eKos5AJUfzmnWmozwW7bzobexTtF1OXNRfZkXAtC-YVamA-5zMrmJp3gg5a_K9l9f3vfZrVo6emLsl4nC7Faz9O0XteS-q8IS_OjO_kDKTzWCGFin2egBTOKUjryGKm2E3X8fqW5_I2YoWP8CAlE0jnXEnAhnili1S8UjbtVkIPhavPqWdGqdEa4IQrP-908UZoOusGSXbighLRLUYw9EGiRDkXa9hushdkUQOMahohxxEaOG59HKpFAP7sCJv3iAQHvchrOT_gK7H-o_g9cRW57Oij_Izn0IquADRtQV59uVaEPuZJtoX7gRuFCr6SnBbGcF5vWk9ZlveSA7kWy1zdeAsNEUId_ZDHsSsodA-cLOqOktls94NEOq5k5zAppNBUbHci1uD-ZYLpXBRTcGGKvo5rBiMen7z1WKctYbRr-BRfp88Ha-dD2crsIuAyAUdBXMHRnC1vYIaNLhPfYZVczxI5bKKA8gXEzr2TeMdpx_22WMnPlkQmkW8Wx7mgvuhFI6TPLJgWJPETXwviHIE_jm8l=w1076-h427-no

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't recommend them, having used them myself a bit and my Dad and bro used them.

Things they have done.

Dented/scratched cars
Only fitted half the hangers on a full system (only on one side)
Distorted the flange on a turbo downpipe, then tried to tighten it up so much that they wrecked the thread.

Probably a few other things I've forgot too. They were very expensive too.

Agreed, my dads used them too and wouldn't recommend.

Judging by the cars they usually work with, I'm not sure they'd really know what they're doing performance-wise anyway.

Soldato
OP
Starting looking into this a bit more and have sent a few emails out.

Just wanted to run a few things by people here. If I have a 3" turbo back exhaust which splits via a Y pipe to the 2 x rear back boxes, would 2-2.5" pipework to the back boxes be sufficient? I've seen people do 3" the whole way including past the Y pipe but not sure that's required...

I imagine even 2 x 1.5" pipes would be sufficient but I just wanted to ensure that I wouldn't be having any unnecessary restrictions :)

Associate
Starting looking into this a bit more and have sent a few emails out.

Just wanted to run a few things by people here. If I have a 3" turbo back exhaust which splits via a Y pipe to the 2 x rear back boxes, would 2-2.5" pipework to the back boxes be sufficient? I've seen people do 3" the whole way including past the Y pipe but not sure that's required...

I imagine even 2 x 1.5" pipes would be sufficient but I just wanted to ensure that I wouldn't be having any unnecessary restrictions :)

Recent and relevant depending on power?

Man of Honour
Numbers are rounded slightly but...

3" tube (1.5mm wall thickness) has a surface area of 4208mm² so we need two tubes that equal or exceed that

A single 2" OD tube has a surface area of 1794mm² so two would be 3589mm²

A 2.25" OD tube has a surface area of 2302mm² so two would be 4605mm²

Soldato
OP

Recent and relevant depending on power?

I watched this recently and although very interesting, I feel it's different when it comes to turbo applications?

Numbers are rounded slightly but...

3" tube (1.5mm wall thickness) has a surface area of 4208mm² so we need two tubes that equal or exceed that

A single 2" OD tube has a surface area of 1794mm² so two would be 3589mm²

A 2.25" OD tube has a surface area of 2302mm² so two would be 4605mm²

Some good maths there. It would suggest 2 x 2.25" from the Y pipe would indeed be sufficient based on the maths... whether it makes a difference or not to power output who knows :D

Soldato
For absolutely no reason I'll post a pic of my UK Turbo with H&S 5" angled exit "Jap style" eggsauce. It was well made as I recall.

As I slowly lost the power of hearing, it lasted about 2 months. :D

gallery_1222_96_35207.jpg

Soldato
OP
Any excuse eh? :D

I had H&S stuff previously. In fact they did my last downpipe and got rid of 2.5" flange on my Nur Spec R. But at they're quite far away I wanted to see who else was out there.

They are generally decent at what they do, just never been a huge fan of how their back box and tailpipes look, but this is something I could agree with them!

Back
Top Bottom