At a crossroads

Soldato
Afternoon all.

I hit a crossroad at work and I'm not sure what my best option is so thought asking fellow IT professionals what their opinion is.

I'm currently in a 2nd Line role and an opportunity has come up where I can work on a project bringing in Office 365, Cloud working, Surface Hubs and other new technologies.

It sounds great but it comes at a price as I won't get a pay increase, I'd lose my on-call bonus, it's only for 18 months and a permanent role is not on the cards so I'd most likely end up back in 2nd Line.

The other option I have is to apply for 1 of 2 roles that are currently up at work at the moment doing either Network Security or Telecoms Support (both offering good development and a decent sized pay check) These are roles that I am very much interested in and there are plenty of development opportunities in both.

Anyone else been in a similar situation and can offer any advice?

Soldato
So you have a choice between a 18 month temporary project with no real perks, monetary or otherwise, or to apply to progress in a field that you are very interested in, pay increases and development opportunities?

Doesn't really sound like much of a crossroads to me, I think you already know what you want to do but lack the confidence to go for it.

Apply for the role you want, worst that happens is that you don't get it.

Soldato
As above doesn't sound much of a choice to me either, would definately go for the Network Security if I was you.

+1 Security is really hot at the moment and is only going to increase with IoT etc. I moved from a 2nd line role into security this time last year, and have almost doubled my salary.

Soldato
+1 Security is really hot at the moment and is only going to increase with IoT etc. I moved from a 2nd line role into security this time last year, and have almost doubled my salary.

I would love to get into security, but working at a company where everyone, regardless of their position, has the same password and no passwords were changed when old developers and IT people left I don't think there is much use bringing it up for training :D

Soldato
I would love to get into security, but working at a company where everyone, regardless of their position, has the same password and no passwords were changed when old developers and IT people left I don't think there is much use bringing it up for training :D

Would be a shame if some anonymous dbag used an old admin account to wreak havoc*. That might change their stance.

If I were you I'd put together a case for improvement and a review of due diligence. Can't hurt, looks good on the CV etc.

*not recommending anything, of course.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.

Unfortunately, a bridge was burnt for the Telecoms role when I withdrew my application due to wanting to work on the project (stupid I know)

The Security role might still be attainable so I need to speak to the head of the team and see what she says.

The Project is the one of the biggest projects IT have ever done here and the experiences and skills I'd pick up would be invaluable when it goes LIVE. There's also a bonus that this puts me in quite influential circles within the IT department and also with the Board of Directors so where there is no pay-rise now, there is potential for something to happen at the end of the Project.

Soldato
Speaking from experience I would advise against just going with just pops in your path even if its not what you want to do, but seems like a good learning experience, if unrelated. You will get deflected from your career path and end up doing going down a different route than you want. Its very hard to go back.

Only if you were not making progress for a very long time would I suggest switching paths.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all your advice guys, it has helped me decide what to do.

The Security role closed last week but once the Manager heard that I was having doubts about the Project, she pounced on me yesterday and asked I if I was still interested.

Long story short, I have an Interview tomorrow at 10am.

Soldato
OP
Well after they've kept me waiting for almost 10 weeks, I finally found out this week that I was successfully and will become a Junior Operational Security Analyst at the beginning of March.

I will have objectives set by my Manager and at the end of the 6 months, I should move up and no longer be a junior (if I've met the objectives)

Really happy and really looking forward to this!!

Back
Top Bottom