PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
Just been playing The Last of us. The 60fps makes a huge difference and I see no difference between the locked 30fps 2160p or 1080p 60fps visually.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that resolution is really not as big an issue as people make out and anything 1080p and above upscaled to 2160p looks stunning. I would rather they rendered at 1080 60fps with more eye candy then upscaled to 2160p than native 2160 30fps from what I have seen so far......

The scalers in both PS Pro and Xbox one S do a fantastic job if you ask me,

Associate
Resolution does make a difference but mainly depends on how close you are to the screen and the size of the screen. 1080p on a 65" screen at approx 7-9 feet away you can see a difference when compared to 4k. Think of PC, you sit very close to your monitor, when I went from 1080p to 1440p it was a big difference due to how close you sit.

Soldato
its either rgb or 4:2:0. I assumed RGB was best for a 4k hdr tv.

HDR is very lovely in Uncharted 4 - managed to get right to the end of the driving section from the start in 4 hours in hard mode. Less aliasing on edges very very noticeable. The vistas don't look as good as I remember but then it's a console game after all. 1440p/30hz.

Fired up last of us afterwards and the HDR again is amazing and really pops certain items like flames and sunlight almost so you have to squint at tiny little shimmers. native 4k 30hz is my go to here as it isn't upscaled at all. 60hz mode just looks fuzzy with artefacts around everything but even that beats the standard ps4 by miles because it runs at 1440p/60hz.

Ratchet and clank looks the best in HDR 1800p/30hz but controls are still sluggish and feel the game needs a 60hz mode with 1080p HDR as HDR is the main star here. That said the image quality is pixar CG like in cleanness.

I think a 60hz patch for driveclub would make the console an absolute must have. For now I'm happy. They should totally patch EA golf too it could do with looking nicer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just been playing The Last of us. The 60fps makes a huge difference and I see no difference between the locked 30fps 2160p or 1080p 60fps visually.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that resolution is really not as big an issue as people make out and anything 1080p and above upscaled to 2160p looks stunning. I would rather they rendered at 1080 60fps with more eye candy then upscaled to 2160p than native 2160 30fps from what I have seen so far......

The scalers in both PS Pro and Xbox one S do a fantastic job if you ask me,

I hope developers take this onboard. Even when I had a 4k PC, the "Ultra" settings always made a much bigger difference then simply switching to 4k resolution. Developers will probably go with the easiest option, whatever that is.

Soldato
Resolution does make a difference but mainly depends on how close you are to the screen and the size of the screen. 1080p on a 65" screen at approx 7-9 feet away you can see a difference when compared to 4k. Think of PC, you sit very close to your monitor, when I went from 1080p to 1440p it was a big difference due to how close you sit.

I was referring to 1080p upscaled to 2160p on a 4K panel. The scalers do a very good job of scaling up from m 1080p that it makes very little if any noticeable difference over national events 4K.

Soldato
Got a 10m one, Display cuts out at 4k + Hdr enabled, its ok with 4k no hdr. Tested another shorter cable and its ok.

Got a shorter Amazon Basics coming, but it looks like my Sunday graft is sorted....

HDCP 2.2 is a pain with longer cables. I read that anything over 3m is hit and miss if it will work.....

Associate
Mine isn't is loud as the old PS4, and that's been opened up and air dusted out. It was a launch unit mind.

My current PS4 is a launch unit and it sounds like a hovercraft. Was one of my main reasons for upgrading, so I'd hope the Pro would be quieter....

Q: To those with the Pro and a non 4K/HDR screen. How is it? Are you seeing good results in games like UC4?

Soldato
Why does the Pro even need HDCP 2.2? I thought it was only there to stop copying of UHD discs which it doesn't play.

It is and UHD content it pretty much goes hand in hand with HDMI.

The issue is the handshake on HDCP 2.2 only allows a very small amount of error or time for it to happen. If it does not get the info quick enough it breaks the link and shuts down. This is why there is a lot of cabling issues with it at the moment....

Soldato
My current PS4 is a launch unit and it sounds like a hovercraft. Was one of my main reasons for upgrading, so I'd hope the Pro would be quieter....

Q: To those with the Pro and a non 4K/HDR screen. How is it? Are you seeing good results in games like UC4?

It's not quiet but it's not loud. You can here it humming away and the fan ramps up now and again. It's pretty much on par with my "C" chassis PS4.

Soldato
I have no idea where my Amazon order is. It's being rescheduled, but looks like it didn't make it back to the depot and still isn't out for delivery. What a joke, I've complained and so far received 1 months Prime for free.

I popped in to Tesco this morning, they carry no stock of it in store and I have to order via Tesco Direct for next day delivery. At this rate I'm going to have to shell out the full £350 in order to play tonight and the weekend! Currys and Argos seem to be sticking to the £350, I guess I could walk in to Currys and ask them to price match. If it doesn't arrive by lunchtime today, I'll do that!

Very poor from Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom