OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
Life with two kids is an entire magnitude harder than it is with one.

Worth reiterating this.

All I ever heard was "it's easier with the second one", which was utter bull-poo. It's relentless with two.

And it's right to say you never really have that same one on one time. I feel a little bad for our eldest for it, to be honest. Especially as so many of his friends have no siblings.

Soldato
It will, I have a 2 1/2 year old boy and a 7 week old girl - if I thought I didn't have any time before!!!

Boy has only slept through the night once in 2 1/2 years and I had forgot how often a little one needs food/nappy or burping! Boy has a massive cold and the poos - life is great

(wouldn't change it for anything!!)

Soldato
I'm have no idea what it's like going to have 2 children, has anybody got any survival tips so I might actually get past Christmas? :o

Depends on how your 2 year old reacts to having a baby in the house. Just don't get annoyed/upset with them, their whole world has been spent getting all of the attention, it's really hard for them (some of them) to adapt to having another child in the house.

My son (was almost 2 and a half at the time) reacted by becoming attached to me and no longer talking to his mum. Kind of meant that I have spent far less time with the youngest one than I did with him but at the same time gives mother and baby bonding time and I can take over in the evenings when the eldest one is sleeping.

It has taken 4 months or so for the eldest to finally accept he has a younger brother now and he's not going to go away. Finally started playing with each other and now the eldest is very protective of his little brother.

Soldato
Boy has only slept through the night once in 2 1/2 years and I had forgot how often a little one needs food/nappy or burping! Boy has a massive cold and the poos - life is great

(wouldn't change it for anything!!)

I know that feeling very well of having a son that doesn't sleep through the night! He has only slept through the night 3 times! He's 32 months old now and thankfully seems to be sleeping a bit better. Out of those 3 times he has slept all night, 2 of them have been the past 2 nights.

Youngest one (coming up for 5 months) appears to be a much better sleeper so far. Only wakes up once or twice between ~8pm and 6am.

Associate
Well my boy loves being around babies, so we're hoping it's going to be ok but of course there's a difference to there being babies at the childminders where he can interact when he wants to having one attached to my wife 24/7.

I don't think paying attention to him is going to be an issue for me, I found the first year quite difficult as my wife was breastfeeding so there wasn't really a lot for me to do apart from change/wind him.

We've been given the date of 14th December for the section so not too much longer now :)

Soldato
On the 24th October my beautiful daughter, Georgia was born. It's been a crazy 3 weeks, you can only prepare so much but overall she's been absolutely fantastic and I think we've been quite lucky in terms of sleep and how she's been so far, fingers crossed it stays that way :p

Picture from 2 weeks ago, I'm one very proud daddy!

E0E3CC59-15ED-4294-9A4F-7A4CA706B428_zpspdbaqeha.jpg

Soldato
Bit of an equipment query really more than baby (until Feb!) Mrs was looking at the Maxi Cosi car seat/travel system setups today, all look good and priced it up to about £500, which was expected, but we were at her dads today and he happens to have the car seat and ISOFIX moult for it in his garage (His partner's son had been given it by a friend when they had theirs due, but they had already bought one) it's been owned by a family with one kid from new, not in any car crashes etc, we have it here and it looks fine, can obviously buy a new one of the removable linings and give a massive clean to the rest of it (few little external scuffs etc.. Especially from where it was on the mount) but all in all it seems in pretty damn good condition, gf is a bit worried about the fact another baby has been in it and health worried that duke arise from that kind of thing etc..

I'm a bit mixed in this and haven't read into things quite as much as she has, but just wanted to ask you guys opinion, would you be happy using a used seat? Maybe I'm being too nonchalote, or she is worrying too much, but neither of us is sure! Opinions?

Soldato
Bit of an equipment query really more than baby (until Feb!) Mrs was looking at the Maxi Cosi car seat/travel system setups today, all look good and priced it up to about £500, which was expected, but we were at her dads today and he happens to have the car seat and ISOFIX moult for it in his garage (His partner's son had been given it by a friend when they had theirs due, but they had already bought one) it's been owned by a family with one kid from new, not in any car crashes etc, we have it here and it looks fine, can obviously buy a new one of the removable linings and give a massive clean to the rest of it (few little external scuffs etc.. Especially from where it was on the mount) but all in all it seems in pretty damn good condition, gf is a bit worried about the fact another baby has been in it and health worried that duke arise from that kind of thing etc..

I'm a bit mixed in this and haven't read into things quite as much as she has, but just wanted to ask you guys opinion, would you be happy using a used seat? Maybe I'm being too nonchalote, or she is worrying too much, but neither of us is sure! Opinions?

Don't contribute to the new baby product price premium cycle if you can avoid it. If the seat is in good condition, given the liner can be removed and washed I would have no hesitation (we didn't when in exactly the same situation). Your gf is the retailers target customer with irrational fears. I doubt there is typhoid hanging about in the lining :p. For context your baby will be crawling on the floor and then putting its hands in its mouth in no time!

Soldato
Don't contribute to the new baby product price premium cycle if you can avoid it. If the seat is in good condition, given the liner can be removed and washed I would have no hesitation (we didn't when in exactly the same situation). Your gf is the retailers target customer with irrational fears. I doubt there is typhoid hanging about in the lining :p. For context your baby will be crawling on the floor and then putting its hands in its mouth in no time!

Thanks mate, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, but at the same time we both obviously want the best for the baby and don't want to expose it to any extra risks, but as you said, there's a lot worse out there!!

Soldato
OP
Thanks mate, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, but at the same time we both obviously want the best for the baby and don't want to expose it to any extra risks, but as you said, there's a lot worse out there!!

We did the same and our daughter hasn't died of any mysterious illness so it's fair to say it was okay. We picked up some adapters so it would slot into our pram which has been dead handy for short trips to town (just lift it straight off and into the car)

On a different subject, I think we might be making a rod for our own backs here because our girl has started waking up in the middle of the night crying and we've found it quite easy to just chuck her in between us and then bung her back in when she's asleep. I reckon she's starting to cry so she can come in with us now though.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 1st rear facing seat we had for my wifes car was second hand from a work friend. I think they are reccomended to be changed every 5 years but i dont know if this is more marketing BS (not sure how foam can go off).

Soldato
We did the same and our daughter hasn't died of any mysterious illness so it's fair to say it was okay. We picked up some adapters so it would slot into our pram which has been dead handy for short trips to town (just lift it straight off and into the car)

On a different subject, I think we might be making a rod for our own backs here because our girl has started waking up in the middle of the night crying and we've found it quite easy to just chuck her in between us and then bung her back in when she's asleep. I reckon she's starting to cry so she can come in with us now though.

Its a huge rod. Stop doing that as it will only get worst. I never let our kids in our bed. Mrs did it twice and the kids start to wake her up every night asking to jump in. She soon stopped.

Soldato
Its a huge rod. Stop doing that as it will only get worst. I never let our kids in our bed. Mrs did it twice and the kids start to wake her up every night asking to jump in. She soon stopped.

Depends on the child I found. Our first was a terrible sleeper, the only way we could all get some sleep was in a bed together. Second child was quite happy in his own bed from 6 months.

Soldato
D-Day is rapidly approaching (22nd Feb) and I'm now trying to solve a hardware quandry!

We bought a Maxi Cosi Loola 3 pushchair. all good, works brilliantly (When simulating round the house like a nutter with a large teddy bear in the seat!) But we didn't buy a carrycot, my brother has offered us his Oyster Pearl carrycot which is lovely, great condition, nice colour (Would get new mattress) but I can only find adapters out there fo Mazi Cosi onto an Oyster base, nothing the other way round, has anyone seen anything out there that would allow this?

Associate
2 boys. 10 and 12. both awesome in their own ways.

if there is one thing that i have learnt over the last 12 years it's baby wipes are awesome! even to this day we have a couple of packets laying around. best thing every for cleaning ... everything!

currently in the early stroppy teen stage with my 12 year old who has become a creature of the night! would sleep all day if allowed but then won't go to sleep until late in the evening. uses the word "meh" a lot.

Man of Honour
currently in the early stroppy teen stage with my 12 year old who has become a creature of the night! would sleep all day if allowed but then won't go to sleep until late in the evening. uses the word "meh" a lot.

This sounds familiar! My 13 year old daughter has become a bad tempered vampire for the last year or two.

Back
Top Bottom