Poll: Game of The Year 2016

Vote for your OcUK Game of the Year 2016

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime

Nope, why would it be?

• Stunning visuals in a great location with a great environment (imo, it is still probably the best game for visuals "overall", the amount of attention to detail is just incredible)
  • Runs great, even more so with DX 12 in the test build now
  • Stunning audio/sound effects
  • Decent story
  • It has got longevity, currently got 300+ hours and there are people with thousands of hours
  • Released in a good state i.e. not having to faff about trying to fix the game like most broken console ports released this year i.e. mafia 3, dishonored 2, quantum break, no mans sky etc.

Best of all is the developers actually seem to care despite the player base being significantly smaller than what it was at launch i.e. they listened to the community and started a separate build to test stuff out and even held of on releasing DLC until the game had been properly balanced. Not many publishers would put DLC on the hold to address issues in a game, especially gameplay issues.

The only serious fault the game had at release was the cheating situation but they changed their policies and the game has been as cheat free as much as any other popular online game out there.

Soldato
Life is Strange.

Something about the feel of the game drew me right in, and the story. It's the only game in years that I actually felt an urge to play, and play right to the end.

Edit - hang on, it came out in 2015 didn't it. ********. Still, I played it this year, does that count :)

Last edited:
Associate
I really wanted it to be Mirror's Edge Catalyst (huge disappointment) or Deus Ex Mankind Divided (decent, but not quite a GOTY contender IMO), so I'll have to go with Rise of the Tomb Raider. It was enjoyable, well paced and had enough variety to remain interesting throughout - the stunning visuals with reasonable performance was the cherry on the cake.

Last edited:
Permabanned
String we need a Poll, you did the same last year :p

Only because we've had what I consider a bad year for games, my vote has to go the game I played the longest and that is Tom Calancy The Division :cool:

Special Mentions go to
Forza
Titanfall
Shadow Warrior
Gears of War

Caporegime
Because of grind grind and more grind, only to then have the weapons you grinded for so long to get nerfed completely with constant rebalancing. While the concept was good the execution has been dreadful. Therefore IMO nowhere near GOTY.

So you mean just like any other loot based game.... :p Shadow warrior 2, borderlands franchise has exactly the same mechanics, run around doing missions killing the same bad guys over and over just to get better gear/weapons.

You can say something similar about any game out there, at the end of the day, every game is repetitive.

Not sure what guns you are talking about, I have had some of the guns that were considered "OP" i.e. vector, g36, m1a wave with balanced/accuracy and even when they got "nerfed", they were still good in their own ways, they just fell in line with other guns so people weren't running around using the same gun with the same talents all the time. The 1.4 patch has done the majority of balance tweaks needed so I don't think you will see any more big changes now.

It is no worse than the likes of bf 1 where you have people running around using the martini henry or shotgun one shotting everything and you had to grind your way to unlock them, only for DICE to take the nerf bat to them and make them completely and utterly useless down the line (same goes for any FPS MP game, generally there is always 1-3 weapons which are OP that you have to grind for)

And yes, the game could have been executed so much better, survival dlc is what the main game should have been from the start but as it is, division has provided a great gaming experience for myself and has quite frankly been the saving grace for PC this year imo given how utterly disappointing more or less every other AAA title has been, be it broken, dumbed down for casuals or falsely advertised.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Dirt rally and im sure we had one of these last week was it ? :D

nothing has brought me such pain fun and rage at same time.best rally game on pc ever made. you have to put the effort in though to get the rewards and that is rare in games made today.

not only that the devs have listened to all the feedback updated us regular who play. top notch all round.

cant wait for the next game which is being teased as we speak.

2nd choice would be battlefield 1 nothing much else apart from doom this year and doom was so so never finished.

Associate
Overwatch has been great fun and probably my GOTY (once I got over the vitriol spewed for every perceived bad pick and the over-the-top scapegoating.)

Battlefield 1 is really good too and looks gorgeous but not sure I'm getting into it as much as previous BFs.

As for Inside? Well I loved it right up until the last 20 minutes or so which sadly spoiled the whole experience for me. Shame. But I'm in the minority on that so must just be lacking in the existential thought department.

Caporegime
Forza Horizon 3.

Released in a good state i.e. not having to faff about trying to fix the game like most broken console ports released this year i.e. mafia 3, dishonored 2, quantum break, no mans sky etc.

The game was unbelievably buggy when it was released, not to mention plagued with hackers.

Granted that may all be fixed, I haven't played for months because the game is ****.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Forza Horizon 3.

The game was unbelievably buggy when it was released, not to mention plagued with hackers.

Granted that may all be fixed, I haven't played for months because the game is ****.

Well you must have been one of the very few to have issues.

Division ran great on release day (as did the beta but to a lesser extent) for myself and the majority of others, servers were iffy on release day (like most big games, which require a server connection), but performance (as long as you didn't enable nvidias gimpwork settings for the shadows) and stability was superb for myself and the 10+ others that were on discord with me on release day. In fact, I am pretty sure that a vast majority of people were slating the game before even released (including myself) expecting another watch dogs in terms of gimped graphics and awful performance but needless to say that didn't happen (well graphics were slightly gimped from the e3 trailer but nowhere to the same extent as watch dogs) and I think it is safe to say the game was a pretty big success on here considering it has over 500 pages of posts spread across 2 threads.

Yes, as I already said, cheaters was a massive issue to the point where myself and the rest that I played with stopped playing completely, but they addressed that after a month or 2 later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom