Golf Thread

Soldato
Well ive had 10 days off now not swung a club or even watched any golf.

Not missed it one bit. In fact enjoyed the extra time ive got available to do stuff around the house and catch up on work.

Can honestly see my hanging my clubs up, its been 5 years of fun but if im not missing being away from it then I cant see me going back to it

Associate
A few years ago I used to play at least one day at the weekend if not both and a Thursday night, really enjoyed it. Always been a high handicapper. Then I got made rabbits team captain and it started to become more like work. Felt like I had to score well all the time.
I play at a club similar where there are some really weird bounces and good shots don't normally mean you end up in good positions. I took a year out and moved to another club more a normal parkland course where if you hit a good shot then your rewarded for it. Then we had a little one and I put my clubs away like you I couldn't justify been out most of the day... I ended up taking up running. Now I am still a member of the club ( I do there website so get access to the course) but I can say in the past 3 years or so with my "Free Membership" I have played it a total of about 10 times.
This year I have played about 6 times at different places and I enjoy it more as its something to look forward to rather then knowing you have to play in every comp. Also because there is no real pressure I have started playing better. Its nice to enjoy it and not be one of thouse angry golfers you see on a lot of the courses.

Take a little time away but dont throw your clubs out as its good to get out for a social game every so oftern.

Soldato
Played today first time in 3 weeks

shot 33 points off 11 including a birdie on a tough par4 and an eagle on a par 5. Still came away wondering why I'm going out there though

Associate
I didn't play this weekend (weather was horrible and we had family visiting anyway) but last weekend I managed to get out for 9 holes on Saturday afternoon after a lesson and shot 1 under my handicap, then got out for 9 again on Sunday and shot 2 under my handicap

I changed clubs a couple months ago and got a 9 hole membership to the end of the year as my other half has been having lessons there and she is a 9 hole academy member and they did me a decent deal for me to join, and it means we can get out whenever we want to play. If I want to play 18 it will only cost me £7.50 and it would be better to just pay the extra when I want to play 18 over the cost it would have been to join as a full member for the rest of the year

Next year I will be joining as a full member and playing in the comps, and I have already had the team captain tell me that if I drop my handicap a couple strokes to put my name down for the team

My aim for next year is to see if I can first get to single figures (currently off 14) but then to see how low I can actually get after my teaching pro said single figures should be the least of my aims

@signs - are you the signs that used to be over on AVForums?

Associate
I didn't play this weekend (weather was horrible and we had family visiting anyway) but last weekend I managed to get out for 9 holes on Saturday afternoon after a lesson and shot 1 under my handicap, then got out for 9 again on Sunday and shot 2 under my handicap

I changed clubs a couple months ago and got a 9 hole membership to the end of the year as my other half has been having lessons there and she is a 9 hole academy member and they did me a decent deal for me to join, and it means we can get out whenever we want to play. If I want to play 18 it will only cost me £7.50 and it would be better to just pay the extra when I want to play 18 over the cost it would have been to join as a full member for the rest of the year

Next year I will be joining as a full member and playing in the comps, and I have already had the team captain tell me that if I drop my handicap a couple strokes to put my name down for the team

My aim for next year is to see if I can first get to single figures (currently off 14) but then to see how low I can actually get after my teaching pro said single figures should be the least of my aims

@signs - are you the signs that used to be over on AVForums?

Ha small world :D

Soldato
played yesterday well kinda, shot 11 points front nine with 3 blobs pared to 10th for 3 points then walked off.

Im done 1.5 rounds in 5 weeks and I hate the game honestly hand on heart got no love at all. Packing up my things tonight and going to hand a membership resignation letter in.

Soldato
That is a shame stuie. I must admit to not being as keen to get out there and play the last few months. I have put it down to feeling a bit of pressure having gone down to 8 handicap. One bad hole has been ruining around whereas previously I could come back from it.

I have decided to embrace it though and see it as a challenge to get used to and look to improve further. 39 points yesterday in Winter League, albeit off forward tees and with preferred lies but still - progress as I hadn't broken 30 for about 2 months!

I don't think the current weather conditions will be helping your attitude towards it so maybe just see where you are in the Spring and do a few pay and play rounds with friends?

Associate
I went for a knock yesterday , shot 40 points off 18 with one blob .

do any of you have to tee up on the fairways in the winter months ?

Associate
Ha small world :D

Certainly is

I wondered when I saw the user name as it isn't a common one I have seen :D

I went for a knock yesterday , shot 40 points off 18 with one blob .

do any of you have to tee up on the fairways in the winter months ?

My new club will be using mats, but this last weekend there was a notice asking us to tee up in the fairway due to the amount of rain we had over the few days prior

Soldato
Turns out as I paid for the year upfront im stuck with membership till june. Clearing locker out tonight as its got to be done by Christmas anyway due to a locker room refit in January.

Will see what happens with a lay off and when the weather turns but with such a long period not playing the chances of me getting straight back in and enjoying it are slim playing off 11 after 4 months off will be tough I suspect

Associate
Myself an TheCSSDoctor are members of The Hackers Paradise forums we have a yearly comp with members from there, probably one of the best golf events I've attended! Could be an idea if you guys signed up to that and came along too!

Although saying that TheCSSDoctor and I invite a friend each and have a North (Booo) v South (Yay) at The Belfry each year as an annual trip. We are hoping to book a lodge this time and make a 3 day golf event! Basically a 3 day holiday of golf, good food and beer and of course time away from the other halves! Although this time other halves are coming and using the spa facilities haha!

Soldato
Shot 77 yesterday. It sounds odd as I am a 19 handicap.

I have been working really hard on my driving recently as I am a good iron player and my putting and chipping is pretty solid. My driving has been erratic and I can hit the ball quite far so as a result it meant getting into a lot of trouble. Yesterday I drove the ball better than ever, missed 2 fairways and generally kept the ball in play. Hopefully I will begin to see my handicap reduce rapidly next year!

Associate
Myself an TheCSSDoctor are members of The Hackers Paradise forums we have a yearly comp with members from there, probably one of the best golf events I've attended! Could be an idea if you guys signed up to that and came along too!

Although saying that TheCSSDoctor and I invite a friend each and have a North (Booo) v South (Yay) at The Belfry each year as an annual trip. We are hoping to book a lodge this time and make a 3 day golf event! Basically a 3 day holiday of golf, good food and beer and of course time away from the other halves! Although this time other halves are coming and using the spa facilities haha!

With how things are possibly looking for next year, I may have to miss the forum weekend for once

Once I know the dates we are looking at for other things, I will have a look at The Belfry for our annual trip and see what dates we can all manage

had the front 8 ( one hole was shut) of my life on Saturday 23 points over 8 , 1 over gross :eek:

Done that myself a couple times over this year, shot a gross +2 at my old club before the rain forced us off after 9 holes, and shot a gross +2 for 9 holes at my new club whilst mentoring a couple of beginners which included 2 birdies, 2 bogeys and 1 double bogey

Looking forward to my first full season at the new club and seeing how low the handicap will go

Associate
Weird had to google search this thread as I couldn't find it anywhere in the forum. Anyway hows everyones winter golf going? My wife got me game golf for xmas but still struggling to include it in my pre shot routine, so I forget to zap certain shots. From the insights I have already it seems approach and putting are really killing my game, way too many 3 putts.

Associate
Weird had to google search this thread as I couldn't find it anywhere in the forum. Anyway hows everyones winter golf going? My wife got me game golf for xmas but still struggling to include it in my pre shot routine, so I forget to zap certain shots. From the insights I have already it seems approach and putting are really killing my game, way too many 3 putts.

I went out the week before Xmas to play the next round in the Winter singles matchplay, shot -4 through 13 to beat the best player in the club 7&5, thought I could conquer the world.
Went out again on the 31st, shot something so high I lost count.

Proves how fickle this flipping game can be.

Back
Top Bottom