Kids Bullied

Associate
"Don't go looking for trouble son, but if someone hits you then hit them back as hard as you can"

That was my dads advice on my first day of school. It stood me in good stead. People tried to bully me in my younger days and they got a fat lip and left me alone. Different times then, granted, and every child is different I guess.

This was what i was taught and done me well. When i was little in 1st school i didn't fight back but i was the little kid and my dad kept telling to hit back, then the day came when i did and they stopped.

I think martial arts is good confidence booster for kids and teachers them to defend them selfs. I started at the age of 6 and stopped at 17. But it does have a draw back, as once you reach high school the bullies learn this about you and want to see what your made of. Most of them tried me once and didn't bother me again. All the way through school i was left alone once they knew i fought back and hit harder then most of them. I still had one or two who wanted a go.

Now my daughter is 5 soon to be 6 and last year was getting bullied by a older boy. My wife didn't want me to teach her to fight back and went to the school and they were excellent in trying at first. But they still missed it a few times and after my daughter hurt her head thanks to the little tw*t, the wife finally had enough and went telling the head that i will be teacher her to fight back if it continues. The school quickly found the boy and was dealt with.
To this day i still haven't had to teach her to defend her self, but i have told her that same as my dad told me. Sense then nothing has happened and she still my happy little girl.

Associate
Who ever posted we don't fight violence with violence, that is literally the first play in the adult world handbook. It's the first thing almost every country in the world does (except France) when ever it happens. It's almost the first thing that has happened with every animal or human being since time began.

Why?

It works.

While I agree with the fact that violence is a strong response.

it is categorically not the first approach every country does when in disagreement.

Soldato
Disagreement and violence are two seperate things. I can't think of many conflicts where someone just sits down and takes a beating or takes an invasion. It's virtually your only option.

Going quite off topic with talks of invasions. I don't think I have ever heard of a single bully leaving you alone because the teacher told him off. That's likely to make it worse, and also being nice to him isn't going to work..

How old is this kid?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea, unfortunately those still dont work in the real world is theirs nay fist work involved, all martial arts are practiced to counter the same movement they themselves know.

If you are going to teach a kid anything, just take them to a good boxing club.

YouTube Ryan Hall pizza restaurant video

Soldato
There are some proper 'undesirables' at my kids school, the kind of people who will hurl bricks through windows if anyone steps up to them. And probably worse.

Thankfully they're not involved with my kid at all, but my lad can be a bit of an annoying **** and I can imagine him getting involved at some point. I don't think standing up to them is going to stop them, some people are like that.

Associate
YouTube Ryan Hall pizza restaurant video

Yes lad!
Or any Demien Maia or Khabib Nurgomedov fight.
BJJ and wrestling beats everything else in a pure 1 on 1.
It can help against multiple attackers too given the situation is correct.
Which is something that is missing from this thread, its not all about violence or when to become violent, its about assessing the situation, can it become dangerous? will it become dangerous? Is there any exit routes? Fighting back is the last thing on any true martial artists way.

To put that in to perspective, I have been studying all types of martial arts for around 19 years now. Currently only do Muay Thai and BJJ, will go to MMA classes bit more to do more wrestling these days.
In those 19 years, I have had to use my knowledge in the topic 3 times.

1 of those times could have been avoided and this is something I look back on and reflect on now.
the other 2 situations, they have saved me from taking a heavy beating and keeping my items under my possession.

If you really want to know what helped me the most in this situations, it was honestly BJJ and Wrestling (real wrestling, not WWE BS), helped me to establish when I was in trouble and helped me take the confrontation in to a position where I am in control and comfortable without risking further injury to my self or the attacker.

Associate
There are some proper 'undesirables' at my kids school, the kind of people who will hurl bricks through windows if anyone steps up to them. And probably worse.

Thankfully they're not involved with my kid at all, but my lad can be a bit of an annoying **** and I can imagine him getting involved at some point. I don't think standing up to them is going to stop them, some people are like that.

There is always a handful what will escalate the violence and they don't know when to stop.

Soldato
I always remember my form tutor on the first day of high school telling the class that if anyone is genuinely bullying you then give em a whack.

Can remember seeing much bullying in my school, plenty of punch ups but not out and out bullying.

Associate
Probably something to teach her as she gets older, could be quite important in the times we live in, sadly.

Yes, i know what you mean the time will come one day, when i do have to teach my children a few things. I would really like her and my little boy to do classes i like i once did to progress up the belts giving them a good sense of achievement.

Back
Top Bottom