How do you pay for cars?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I withdrew around £7k a few years back to take to a trader.

There as the hassle of security checks at the bank and the fear of losing the money or getting mugged on the way to the trader.

I hoped the trader would give a good discount for cash, it's what I'd always heard, but he wasn't happy being handed a large amount of cash when the banks were shut. Didn't want to leave it in a safe or take it home.

And I didn't get a "discount for cash".

Next car purchase was a card.

glol :p You know when people say "cash" they usually dont actually mean physical notes

"Discount for cash" in the motor trade or when buying houses, or whatever, refers to paying with cleared funds, rather than finance.

Soldato
For £10k I would bank transfer, before faster payments days you had to go in branch and pay a fee. Now it is much quicker, easier and free. You just need to transfer online or via telephone banking and it will be in the seller's account within an hour (normally instant)

Cash is good for smaller amounts but count it in front of the seller.

If it is a dealer at least £100 on credit card, if possible, so you get section 75 protection.

Going to the local bank branch with a private seller and either handing over the cash or doing a transfer sounds good but logistically it is a bit of a pain because not everybody has a bank just down the road. It sounds like something you would do if you didn't trust the seller/buyer.

Soldato
I've only done the swag bag thing once and they didn't like it, but still took it. When dealers say cash they usually mean card etc, unless it's something cheap :p

Soldato
Last one I got an interest free credit card for many months as I had to buy one after crashing the last. Usually would pay in cash/debit, but I've never paid more than 1.5k for a car so it's not a huge issue :D

Associate
I paid for my recent car with cash.

Private buyer asked for cash as didn't seem to trust online banking on a Sunday. Had viewed the car at his home, Hpi check was ok.

It was 6.5k but it worked out fine. Would prefer bank transfer myself.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've paid for mine with a debt card or cash normally in the past. However, my current car and due to the value of it I paid 50% on a debit card (Well the first £3000 was put on the CC)and the rest on finance.

Back
Top Bottom