The new Beauty and the Beast film (17 March '17)

Any Disney nerds about? (not sure if I should admit that on OcUK lol)

Anyway, Beauty and the Beast is one of the all-time classics. Debuted in late 1991 so a quarter-century ago. Us 30-somethings may have seen it at the flicks (I was aged 13 back then). Disney are currently re-making their classics into live action films. E.g. Cinderella, Alice, Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty), Jungle Book done already and BatB will be next. I don't know if this will be the final interpretation, but below is one of the current leaks of Belle. She's being played by Emma Watson who also played as Hermione in all 8 Harry Potter films.

Anyone else highly anticipating this film?

mLkjXNz.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I think Disney are keeping the lid on Belle's official presentation so all we have at the moment are leaks. I'm still high anticipating EW though because I think that Lily James did a superb job with Cinderella 2015 even if she didn't look that much like Cinderella 1950.

DuPd51x.png

Soldato
Yeah, I think Disney are keeping the lid on Belle's official presentation so all we have at the moment are leaks. I'm still high anticipating EW though because I think that Lily James did a superb job with Cinderella 2015 even if she didn't look that much like Cinderella 1950.

What do you mean by this :confused:

Beast pic

ieKASnPl.jpg

Associate
I have to admit I am looking forward to it. I was t sure at first but I am warming to the idea. I absolutely loved BatB growing up and even still to this day. I plan on taking both my girls to the cinema to see this when it's released in March.

I am interested to see what they've kept the same and what they have changed.

I appear to be in the minority when I say I like how they've done the Beast.

Soldato
Trailer looked better than I thought it would, will definitely watch this at some point.

Beauty and the Beast was/is my favourite Disney film which might be a good or bad thing depending on the changes they have made. They could have at least chosen someone closer to the animated version of Gaston for this one.

Associate
Beauty and the Beast ... except without the beauty.

Watson isn't pretty enough by half to play the role. Poor casting.

Caporegime
Trailer looked better than I thought it would, will definitely watch this at some point.

Beauty and the Beast was/is my favourite Disney film which might be a good or bad thing depending on the changes they have made. They could have at least chosen someone closer to the animated version of Gaston for this one.

The entire problem with it being live action is that there is no one who can play the animated version of Gaston, because no such person exists. No one has a chest that broad, a chin that big. He isn't real, can't possibly be real. The cartoon can get away with stylising things, so that there are things more beautiful than reality, and more terrible. Belle doesn't look like a real person, but she is "beautiful" and your brain fills in the rest. Once Emma Watson is up there you either think she's beautiful or you don't, but she's not as "beautiful" as Belle is implied to be. The living furniture can't look as good as it does when your mind is filling in for what the cartoon shows you - Mrs Potts' painted on mouth in the trailer looks horrendous for this reason, Lumiere is deep in the uncanny valley, and I expect the "Be Our Guest" sequence in the live action version will be terrible.

This quote from Roger Ebert's review of the animated film pretty much pins down the problem with doing this in live action:

Roger Ebert said:
it's a reminder that animation is the ideal medium for fantasy, because all of its fears and dreams can be made literal. No Gothic castle in the history of horror films, for example, has ever approached the awesome, frightening towers of the castle where the Beast lives. And no real wolves could have fangs as sharp or eyes as glowing as the wolves that prowl in the castle woods.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the bump guys. Granted the trailer does show a fair bit, but I'm still 100% up for watching Belle 2017.

Sister and I saw the animated Belle during 1991 October half term in the cinema with our late Grandma. Sister has asked if I wanted to see Belle 2017, so we're both going to see it :)

Back
Top Bottom