*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Gonna have to rent a new place, tempted to get one of these. I'm currently paying £109 a month to Virgin for 200Mbps, Sky Sports, BT Sports, and a few channels that the gf wants to watch.

The Gigabit costs £60, so gotta have to find a comparable standalone TV service that covers those channels.

Associate
8 months I've had 1Gb Hyperoptic now, still loving it, absolutely loving it. Its pretty much been solid as a rock for reliability. Here's my best results so far, which is among the worst I've seen compared to Londoner Hyperoptic results (I'm in Birmingham)
5710195961.png
5667267932.png

Gonna have to rent a new place, tempted to get one of these. I'm currently paying £109 a month to Virgin for 200Mbps, Sky Sports, BT Sports, and a few channels that the gf wants to watch.

The Gigabit costs £60, so gotta have to find a comparable standalone TV service that covers those channels.

Well actually, it works out as approx £40/month with the current special offer they have at the moment.

That's better than what was on offer a few months ago it was £44/month (average over 12 months).
I'm paying £50/month, can't wait to renew my contract in 4 months so I can get it down to £38/month (average over 12 months).

Last edited:
Associate
Hyperoptic have just started installation in my building (seen the vans outside) Need to catch one of them and see if they know when we'll be going live!
I know they do special offers for new buildings, anyone know if they buy you out of current contracts or anything? Still got 6 months left with Sky :(

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Just a heads up, I've discussed this with the wider team and so long as we keep it under control then you can discuss referring each other. Keep it tidy and use trust to do so.

Associate
Has anyone noticed their plans to add CGNAT? That is, you wouldn't have an external IPv4 address, so port forwarding wouldn't work any longer?

I know they mentioned doing it, has anyone actually had it applied to them yet?

Associate
Has anyone noticed their plans to add CGNAT? That is, you wouldn't have an external IPv4 address, so port forwarding wouldn't work any longer?

I know they mentioned doing it, has anyone actually had it applied to them yet?

Yep - I've got the 1Gig package and I had CGNAT applied to my account sometime in the last 3 months. Emailed them to add the static IP (£5 a month) option to my account last week - got switched the same day.

Associate
Any more details?
Well:
https://www.hyperoptic.com/residential-package/?broadband-only=true
For 1Gb for broadband only its £30/month + £40 connection fee.
If you're already a customer you can renew your 12-month contract therefore basically wavering that connection fee.

£30/month for 9 months, then £60/month after. 12 month contract. On average that is £37.50 over 12 months.

Absolute, truly, utter unbelievably a great bargain for 1Gb speed per month - even if Hyperoptic provide faster than 300Mb compared to Virgin or BT etc.
Literally if you have Hyperoptic available you should get their 100Mb or higher, forget all other ISP's unless obviously Hyperoptic are slacking somehow with your apartment block. For my apartment block though, Hyperoptic own, it absolutely f'ing pwns, I love it, can not recommend them enough. And this is coming from someone who never really had slight problems with Virgin Media (my parents home) or even BT 76Mb (my home) at my apartment.

Last edited:
Associate
Black Friday deal gives 20% off right now
That's an average of £36/month for 1Gb broadband only on 12 month contract. Or £33/month if you renew your contract.
Sigh, if only I wasn't within my contract period...

Associate
Black Friday deal gives 20% off right now
That's an average of £36/month for 1Gb broadband only on 12 month contract. Or £33/month if you renew your contract.
Sigh, if only I wasn't within my contract period...

Good spot, just renewed my 100meg with them. £16/month for 9 months then £35 for the next 3; not to be sniffed at!

Caporegime
You'll want CGNAT taken off if you plan on using game servers or hosting inbound connections. I don't have a problem with CGNAT on residential connections, and I think there needs to be an element of understanding towards relatively young ISPs that couldn't get huge amounts of IP space early on, and can't acquire it now due to cost reasons.

However, any provider implementing CGNAT should have a real IPv4 address available for a reasonable fee, and implement IPv6 or have a clearly defined plan to do so. Once PSN and Xbox Live go v6 then there won't be a need for 99% of home users to have a public IPv4.

Soldato
In all seriousness, can I rent someone's Hyperoptic gigabit connection for 4 days? I need to sync a shedload of data to my Google drive. Anyone interested in discussing an arrangement feel free to email me with the link in sig ;)

And no it will not violate Hyperoptics T&Cs or FUP - already asked them, I'm just not in a service area :(

Associate
In all seriousness, can I rent someone's Hyperoptic gigabit connection for 4 days? I need to sync a shedload of data to my Google drive. Anyone interested in discussing an arrangement feel free to email me with the link in sig ;)

And no it will not violate Hyperoptics T&Cs or FUP - already asked them, I'm just not in a service area :(

How much is a shedload?

Otherwise, I've just been moved to CGNat.. not entirely pleased about it, especially considering I was told I'd be moved to a static IP (having requested that I didn't go on CGNat). It's now being sorted (apparently). Sigh.

Soldato
100MiB/s * 3600 seconds * 24 hours * 4 days = 32.96TiB by my hasty calculations. :D That's...quite a lot... :p

1) Unlikely to get full speed upload
2) Wouldnt want to deny someone their service. Would assume maybe 80MB/s.
3) So maybe 25Tb. But there are many people with more data - look for the unRAID servers people have. My friend in the Great Emigration Sale had 80Tb of data
4) I'll just upload all my data to a commercial Google drive or Amazon Cloud Drive - cheap storage/backup solution
5) I'd be paying the kind person more than they'd pay for a months service to share their service for approx 4 days. Sounds a fair deal.
6) Hyperoptic Gigabit no data caps - I specifically asked their tech support if they'd be upset if someone uploaded 25Tb in one hit. No problem. No FUP, no throttling. I wish I could get that service here!

Meth

Back
Top Bottom