Bin men don't lift bags left outside the bin?

Soldato
Ours will take anything extra, recycling or refuse. Several times they've ran up the drive to grab a bin we've forgotten to put out. They always get a big chocolate tin at Xmas :)

Caporegime
Ah ok, so just a slightly modified version of the old dustbin lorry, not like the recycling vehicles (at least around west London) that tip to a hole in the top/near top - so probably not accessible by humans, but obviously the humans drag the bins into position).

Lol. Yeah, that's pretty much it. Humans, love it! :D

Soldato
Round here they won't take anything that is beside the bin but if your bin lid is up they generally still take it even though technically they don't.

My bin was full to the brim of my old bathroom ceiling and weight an absolute tonne and they still took it. :D

Associate
The councils want less work to do but keep putting up council tax....and then waste thousands I see every day.

And on another note why do people give tips to bin men ...they get paid a fair wage.

oh and btw i am a council worker. :p

Soldato
What is most annoying is that now our council charges for the garden waste bin, so after cutting the grass in the summer and putting the cut grass into black bags, I have to spend weeks strategically putting said bags to the bottom of the normal bin after collection and spread them out to avoid suspicion. I am sure this garden bin charge will have ended up costing the council more in general waste charges.

I also have a compost heap but I can usually only get about half on because there is that much.

Soldato
We have to share one wheelie bin between two properties. Six people in total (although I suspect our neighbours of some dodgy sub-letting). It doesn't help when they don't give a **** about recycling so everything ends up in standard waste. It turns out they are Australian and didn't understand what recycle bags were or that you can get them for free from the local council.:rolleyes:

There is the option to buy a bin for £50 from the council but I don't feel I should have to and there is nothing to stop it being stolen.

Man of Honour
What is most annoying is that now our council charges for the garden waste bin, so after cutting the grass in the summer and putting the cut grass into black bags, I have to spend weeks strategically putting said bags to the bottom of the normal bin after collection and spread them out to avoid suspicion. I am sure this garden bin charge will have ended up costing the council more in general waste charges.

I also have a compost heap but I can usually only get about half on because there is that much.

As much as I'd prefer not to pay for green bin, there are two obvious choices for you here - take it down the recycling center or pay for green bin collection :p

Permabanned
£20 at Christmas for them, and I can leave 4 or 5 full bags with the wheelie bin, and the bin can contain anything at all, have the lid wide open, and be so heavy the lifter on the truck squeals. Postman signs for stuff for me and leaves it in a special place if I am out, and the local cops are drinking mates. Lovely county Shropshire :)

Soldato
Theyre not suppose to take them but i guess it just depends on the council and how strict they are, my bin men are really good, ive forgotten to put the bins out a few times in the past and i've waved them down as they were just leaving the road and they stopped and emptied it for me and they don't mind throwing a few extra bags in for me.

Soldato
I quite like the setup that Essex use. We get a weekly rubbish collection with a 2 week alternating recycling schedule (paper & glass / plastic). Plus we don't have wheelie bins, we just put out black bags (clear bags for recycling) on the morning of the collection.

It's nice not having wheelie bins everywhere, but on the flip side, you do get the occasional fox rampage (although tbh - not many).

What does **** me off, is when people put out the wrong recycling for that week... then instead of putting it away once they're realised their mistake.. they just leave it there for another week until it's collected... in which time it's invariably been half blown down the street, ripped apart etc...

Also, while I'm having a moan...here's me.... breaking down loads of Amazon boxes, cereal boxes, carefully flattening it all out and cramming it into a bag, along with 10000000 bits of junk mail and other crap.... then I look across the street and there's a family that has about 5 bags outside, each with about 2 cereal boxes in...

I could totally understand if it was a little old lady, but.. ARGH. I hardly relish sorting my rubbish, but at least when I do it, I put some effort and logical thinking into it :mad:

Oh and the people who don't bother to clean up the aftermath of their own rubbish blowing down the street and decorating my front garden with used bathroom wipes and the like... **** them too!

OK I'm done.

Associate
it has nothing to do with time, how are so many of you confused by this.

So, you can justify them leaving his wheelie bin for another fortnight because the lid wasn't flush? I saw it and it was just a mere 2 inches from being closed. It's not as if the bin was rammed and there was no chance of closing the lid.

Add to that the fact that he lived on a farm at the time, so it's not as if they were going through town/down a street, they've wasted a trip and a trip where they could have emptied his bin. But, no, some jumped up employee had to make a point?

A total lack of common sense was applied in my view. Sure, if the person is a repeat offender, then make a point of not emptying the bin after making them aware of it being a consequence of their repeated actions.

Seriously... :confused:

Soldato
They just dropped to 3 week collections here.
I have an 8 month old poop machine, this isn't going to go well.

Aye biweekly is fine, unless your household is producing nappies also.
Going to three weeks between lifts and nappies is just going to be insane.
Angle care do nappy bins, they are great for packing and contracting nappies into as small a space as possible, then you dump the big sausage of nappies into the outside bin, even then you'll be struggling mightily.

Man of Honour
It was a few years ago but we came back home and our bin had not been emptied. We rang the Council who asked if the lid was not closed properly and it was sticking up about an inch. I looked in the bin and one of our neighbours had put a couple of bags in there so I put them on her front lawn with a note saying "Thanks, because of your inconsideration I have put your two bags on the lawn and the rest of my rubbish in your bin".

Soldato
It was a few years ago but we came back home and our bin had not been emptied. We rang the Council who asked if the lid was not closed properly and it was sticking up about an inch. I looked in the bin and one of our neighbours had put a couple of bags in there so I put them on her front lawn with a note saying "Thanks, because of your inconsideration I have put your two bags on the lawn and the rest of my rubbish in your bin".

Followed up with a sneaky little poo through their letterbox?

V F

V F

Soldato
How many bins do people have nowadays?

I remember it used to be simple. The black bin. Then black wheelie bin. Then black and blue wheelie bin. Now I have black, blue and grey. Maroon and green is coming to us soon.

Some have 6 right?

Back
Top Bottom