• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need to upgrade my CPU

Associate
I want to buy BF4 but my CPU isn't good enough to play it. My PC build is 5 years old but I did upgrade the GPU 1 and a half years ago. Here is my build?

WD 1TB Blue Desktop Drive 3.5" SATA-III 7200RPM 64MB
Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Corsair CX 600W
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz 6MB
Asus M4A88T-M 880G Socket AM3 Onboard Graphics 8 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard
MSI R9 280X GAMING 3GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

I don't need a really high end CPU and I am not sure how much they cost these days. My current one cost £80 at the time, so guidance would be helpful. What CPU should I get and do I need to replace my motherboard as well?

Thanks.

Associate
If you need a new board and CPU you might as well go Intel, upgrading to a brand new AM3+ board and cpu is a waste considering it's a dead end platform.

If you have the budget, basic 1151 motherboard (H110M or H170) with an i5-6400 and 8GB DDR4 is a solid option with loads of upgrade potential and staying power.

Budget version, get a H81M board, pick up a 2nd hand Haswell i5 for around £80-90 and re-use your old ram. Still tons of upgrade potential down the line to Haswell i7 processors.

Associate
OP
Might want to edit out them links?

Huh? The links work fine for me?

The CPU is £220 Intel BX80662I56600K Core i5-6600K LGA1151 3.5 - 3.9 GHz CPU

The MB is £107: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard (4x DDR3, 6x USB3.0, 6x USB2.0, GBE, LAN, HDMI, DVI, DP, VGA)

gEd

gEd

Associate
He means edit out links to direct competitors. Overclockers don't pay to run a forum so people can promote sales on competitors sites...

Soldato
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz 6MB

Bin. Get an Intel i5 or i7.

MSI R9 280X GAMING 3GB

A bit low end these days. Get a GTX 1060 or RX 480.

Waited for black friday and have found these two. I don't know much about PCs, so I am not sure if this is a good deal or not?

I've not quoted the competitor links - you should remove them.

The i5-6600K looks okay, but that's the wrong motherboard. You want a Z170 motherboard. And you'll want a decent CPU cooler.

Associate
NO do NOT buy that motherboard if your wanting that cpu! I'm sure its the wrong socket type! you need a motherboard that takes the skylake 1151 chip and ddr4 ram

Soldato
Yeah you have the wrong motherboard type listed, any socket 1151 board will do, you only need a Z170 chipset board if you are going to overclock. I am running a i5 6600 happily on a B150 Pro board.

Associate
Guys, he's going to be pretty annoyed with you when he buys an Intel quad core and realizes that it still won't run BF1 well :p

You need 6+ threads if you want BF1 to run well consistently, despite what people on here will try and tell you.

Associate
Guys, he's going to be pretty annoyed with you when he buys an Intel quad core and realizes that it still won't run BF1 well :p

You need 6+ threads if you want BF1 to run well consistently, despite what people on here will try and tell you.

Not really, Skylake i5 runs the game pretty well, there are only one or two maps where sometimes it can drop into the 50's but overall a good experience.

It's not just about cores, the FX-6300 is pretty junk at the game, drops to 30fps even in the smaller maps which don't even flinch on Haswell/Skylake.

Even Skylake i3 is a titanic upgrade on the X4 955. Also, keep in mind he said Battlefield 4, not Battlefield 1.

But even if he did mean BF1 not everyone can just afford to go out and buy a 6700K system, Haswell or Skylake i5 is perfect for the game really. Most people don't care if it dips below 60fps sometimes.

The average BF1 player would have neither a Skylake i5 or any generation i7. Most players I know personally are still using sandy or ivy bridge because until BF1 not much has pushed them.

I'm not saying that an i7 isn't ideal for the game, it is obviously, but it's a little out of reach for the average gamer.

Back
Top Bottom