Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

i need to remake my N54L but I've just seen a deal for the Gen8...why does life tempt me like this
It's not even worth thinking about mate. The value you'll get out of the Gen8 vastly surpasses the tiny amount you will save by not buying it.

Soldato
I went from the N40L to the Gen8, everything that I had added, or wanted from the Gen7, that it didnt deliver, then Gen8 did..

The only thing I want now, is more RAM, which you cant have on the Gen8 as that's limited to 16gb, which is the main driver for me wanting to upgrade my server...

But I digress, does the Gen7 do everything that you want it to do, do you really need the extra functions and performance of the Gen8....

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Still running a Gen7 here... tempted to go for the Gen 8 as I'm getting errors on the Fire TV when streaming 1080P rips.

Anyone else have this issue with Gen 7 (running FreeNAS) and is it worth going 7 > 8?

Soldato
Might be the FireTV, I've got some sticks around the house and I'm sure they're getting slower and slower these days, to the point that they moan about slow connection to the server as well...

Soldato
What's the general consensus on the gen8?

As I'm heading back to the UK, I'm thinking of taking advantage of the cash back offer and buying two gen8's... 1 to replace me n40l and the other as a VM host and play toy.

Looking at upgrading both to 16gb, What's best ?
One with 4 x 2TB drives, What's best?
Other to have 4 x 3/4TB, depending on price, Whats best?
and both to be upgraded to Xeons if possible.

What graphics card is good for streaming media to TV and over network.
also thinking of getting the 8 port matching switch...

any help from you lovely people would be appreciated.

Soldato
I do like my Gen8, compared to the Gen7 it was all I needed and more, however, now I want more again so the 16Gb limit on the Gen8 means a Frankenbuild for me...

Drive wise I usually go for the WD Reds.
Xeon's, good luck finding some cheap ones, eBay seems to have them, from CHina though..
RAM, think I have Crucial in mine..

GDL

GDL

Associate
I do like my Gen8, compared to the Gen7 it was all I needed and more, however, now I want more again so the 16Gb limit on the Gen8 means a Frankenbuild for me...

Try the HP ML10V2.

I picked one up on the bay for about £100. I've used the same ram from the gen8 (32Max in the V2) and sold one of the 8's to wack a 1241-V3 in it and shoved 8 LFF disks and 2 ssd's in it.
Still has the Ilo4 as well, single nic but dual if you set the Ilo to shared.

Soldato
erm, bit late for that, Frank is sat behind me on the floor now built, grand cost so far is £0, I'll be breaking the Gen7 and Gen8 after Christmas and seeing how much of what I spent on them I can recoup lol

Soldato
Just picked up a Gen8 from the members market which tribz kindly sold to me.

I've also picked up an i5 2390T and a GeForce GT710 to put in it - hopefully making some sort of HTPC/NAS build.

Still undecided on which OS to go for.

Soldato
I'm after 16GB of RAM for my Gen8 if you have access to the members market :D

Haha, I have access yes, but probs wont be breaking it before Xmas, I wont be in a rush to sell as I want to try n get as much back as I can..
I've got the original G1610T that it came with, I did get an i3 something or other but sold that a while back, got various RAM for it, the 4gb it came with, another 4, a 2 and then the pair of 8's, Xeon E3-1260L, stock heatsink, new heatpipe heatsink, P222 with 512Mb on it, SDMv3, optical drive, iLo licence and assorted 2Tb drives, I dread to think what its cost me to build it :eek:

Associate
Not as much as mine :p

Haha, I have access yes, but probs wont be breaking it before Xmas, I wont be in a rush to sell as I want to try n get as much back as I can..
I've got the original G1610T that it came with, I did get an i3 something or other but sold that a while back, got various RAM for it, the 4gb it came with, another 4, a 2 and then the pair of 8's, Xeon E3-1260L, stock heatsink, new heatpipe heatsink, P222 with 512Mb on it, SDMv3, optical drive, iLo licence and assorted 2Tb drives, I dread to think what its cost me to build it :eek:

Soldato
My N54L is doing well, I do find it struggles with (single) 1080p streams at times though. Direct play is fine, it just hasn't quite got the balls to keep up with transcoding though :(

I've just RDC'd into it and seen an uptime of 439 days too :D

Back
Top Bottom