Poll: Investigatory Powers Bill or "Snoopers' Charter" has been approved

Are you happy with the investigatory powers bill being passed?

• Yes, I fully agree with it.

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Yes, but I am uncomfortable with certain aspects of it.

Votes: 31 5.5%
  • I am undecided.

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • No, but I do agree with parts of it.

Votes: 103 18.2%
  • No, I fully disagree with it.

Votes: 391 69.1%

• Total voters
Caporegime
God I had forgotten about ID cards! Weren't the Tories against them :p?

So 'I hate Trident' Corbyn was for this? Labour MPs I get but stupidly thought Corbyn would be against even with the concessions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I've found a use for my spare raspberry pi. Making thousands of web page requests a minute 24/7 while my normal browsing is encrypted. :D

Soldato
Use a VPN client on the machines you want to keep hidden and then set up a python script on the pi connected straight to the router(they can do that right?) to randomly call URLs and click around the page. Job done :D.

Permabanned
Well I've found a use for my spare raspberry pi. Making thousands of web page requests a minute 24/7 while my normal browsing is encrypted. :D

I'd be interested in how to do this. I have a pi, but I need a wired connection as I get interference from something in my area.

I believe these TOR pi setups mean you loose internet performance?

Soldato
Use a VPN client on the machines you want to keep hidden and then set up a python script on the pi connected straight to the router(they can do that right?) to randomly call URLs and click around the page. Job done :D.

I was going to do something a bit more crude but yeah, I'm sure there will be a few scripts popping up now. The other thing about this situation is that ISPs will need to pay for expensive storage systems. I assume they will need DR/backups too so i wonder if this could make some smaller operations go under?

If enough people have a noise generator, the scheme could quickly become unmanageable. If you're doing "load testing" to your own webserver you're definitely not on dodgy ground, either.

Caporegime
I posted this earlier in the thread, but you can see a good breakdown of VPN options here:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

With Simple/Detailed information on many, TunnelBear is featured there so you can check them out.

I looked on that but not one VPN got green lights on everything and most had several red lights so which things are more important than other things please?

Half the stuff I have no idea what it means :(

Associate
I looked on that but not one VPN got green lights on everything and most had several red lights so which things are more important than other things please?

I think that link above points to the detailed breakdown, if you check the left hand menu there is a simple breakdown which is a bit easier to follow though less detailed obviously.

If you check below the table there is a link to a glossary breaking down what each of the fields means. Link is here:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/glossary/

I'm not sure I can tell you which ones are better to be green on than others, a lot is user preference. The glossary is easy enough to follow though, I'd recommend checking that out and you'll know which ones you prefer.

Soldato

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/glossary/

Thing is we don't even know if it is accurate.

I would suggest the first 4 are the most important along with the external trackers one. I'm far from an expert though :(.

Last edited:
Soldato
The home secretary, Amber Rudd, hailed the Investigatory Powers Act 2016 as “world-leading legislation” that provided “unprecedented transparency and substantial privacy protection”

Can someone explain how this protects privacy :confused:.

Back
Top Bottom