Windows 10

Soldato
You don't have to have any assistance stuff on the computer to perform the upgrade as it's pretty much a honour system.

I've also not had any network speed issues on the laptop I upgraded to windows 10 on.

Really, I can still do it for free? My mom's laptop has 10 & just goes airport mode/discoes sometimes on the wireless network...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
:eek:

windows 10 on arm processors with x86 desktop apps running as well. Thanks to built in emulator. Wonder if we will finally get some great budget and mid range tablets, they have been lacking on windows. Just modernise the surface 2, still the best tablet I've ever used for casual stuff.

Last edited:
Associate
Just had a new windows update today and when I checked disk clean-up to see how much space I could recover by removing the update files - it reports 3.99 Terabytes lol, my OS drive is only 500GB/465 usable with about 70GB free space. I clear these update files relatively often, but not immediately after an update incase it's borked. I just wanted to see how much room I can recover because some huge game installs are occupying a lot of space.

Im afraid to remove these though because the value is clearly wrong and I dont want it to nuke my entire OS lol

PGfpMGF.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

windows 10 on arm processors with x86 desktop apps running as well. Thanks to built in emulator. Wonder if we will finally get some great budget and mid range tablets, they have been lacking on windows. Just modernise the surface 2, still the best tablet I've ever used for casual stuff.

Does this mean we could see windows 10 "ported" to other (non intel/ms) phones and tablets in the future?

Man of Honour

I'd be hugely excited for this if it wasn't for the direction Windows 10 generally goes in and MS's habit of getting something innovate nearly there and then inexplicably dropping it.

I might be in a minority but the ability to plug my phone into a large screen/monitor and/or appropriate peripherals and have a fully functional x86 compatible Windows desktop would be massive for me.

Soldato
I am having issues with getting online, I am prob. going back & reinstalling 7... I just game in Windows & do my online stuff in linux... It worked untill it updated, I just want it working & no messing around needer... I don't like the path it is taking anyway... Hmmmm, odd timing, I mean I am over in the US, but still Busted Windows 8, 10 update blamed for breaking Brits' DHCP... Crap, corrupted file on my DvD, guess the win7 reinstall is a no go...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I'd be hugely excited for this if it wasn't for the direction Windows 10 generally goes in and MS's habit of getting something innovate nearly there and then inexplicably dropping it.

I might be in a minority but the ability to plug my phone into a large screen/monitor and/or appropriate peripherals and have a fully functional x86 compatible Windows desktop would be massive for me.

well windows central is saying this is actually happening and we should see devices early next year when snapdragon 835(q1 2017) is released. please be good. should be mid level price.
atom is about $35, 835 $70 and core M $300, so as long as oems don't go for profit should be affordable.
i wonder if the bottom end surface 5 will be snapdragon 835.

Does this mean we could see windows 10 "ported" to other (non intel/ms) phones and tablets in the future?
probably not, bootloaders are locked, so would need to be hacked.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
well exciting times for hardware early next year.
however if cortana cant itergreat with samsung smart things, phillips hue nest, and all the other smart devices, then its pretty useless.

and this is where amazon wins hands down with the echo, the comparability list is massive, comfortably beating googles attempt.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Just cloned to a new ssd, does Windows 10 still need those two little partitions either side of the main part?

123.jpg

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Yes - definitely for the 100MB one - the 450MB makes life a bit easier if something goes wrong but if you were really desperate for space it could be removed - not really worth it though.

Soldato
Yes. The System Reserved partition contains the BCD, startup files for Bitlocker and access to the recovery environment. It's very much recommended to keep it.

Recovery partition is non critical, but it assists in troubleshooting a broken installation.

Soldato
Tips for improving general system slowness/browser responsiveness?

Just looked at my Dad's PC and it was dog-slow... he's says it's been like it since a recent update but before I start rolling things back I thought I'd check in here :D

Any thoughts? He's completely clean of virus's/malware etc.

Man of Honour
Could be related to USB or storage drivers since the AU update - which if the case is pretty much unsolvable right now :|

Check he has enough free disc space and remove any old system files if necessary - the 1607 update can use a lot of space up which can make things tight if its a system with low storage space to start with.

Also check in task manager - I've found sometimes the Windows update background processes just go crazy preparing for the next update and can chew CPU and Disc IO for hours until done.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tips for improving general system slowness/browser responsiveness?

Just looked at my Dad's PC and it was dog-slow... he's says it's been like it since a recent update but before I start rolling things back I thought I'd check in here :D

Any thoughts? He's completely clean of virus's/malware etc.

As someone else suggested - Task Manager... & Windows 10 isnt very good at telling you its downloading another big update... So maybe leave it on over night or something?

Associate
Could be related to USB or storage drivers since the AU update - which if the case is pretty much unsolvable right now :|

Check he has enough free disc space and remove any old system files if necessary - the 1607 update can use a lot of space up which can make things tight if its a system with low storage space to start with.

Also check in task manager - I've found sometimes the Windows update background processes just go crazy preparing for the next update and can chew CPU and Disc IO for hours until done.

Also check to make sure that microsoft compatibility telemetry isn't running as that can be a real pain in the rear end and will fire up whenever it feels like it (more often when you're doing something that requires the resources it is hogging).

That is one pile of garbage I want to stop running for good regardless of if it's a windows 10 computer or not.

Soldato
well windows central is saying this is actually happening and we should see devices early next year when snapdragon 835(q1 2017) is released. please be good. should be mid level price.
atom is about $35, 835 $70 and core M $300, so as long as oems don't go for profit should be affordable.
i wonder if the bottom end surface 5 will be snapdragon 835.

probably not, bootloaders are locked, so would need to be hacked.
Some phones you can unlock the bootloader....

Back
Top Bottom