Are compact cameras any good?

Associate
Been a while since I was on here!!

Anyway, I have a trusty old Canon 400d that hasn't missed a beat but I'm going away for a month long trip and don't want to drag that everywhere so fancy buying something smaller.

Initially looking at the Canon Sx720hs but after looking at reviews I have lost the plot.

Does anyone have a compact camera under £350 and really like it? Image quality for printing 6x4's and a few larger prints is priority. I GoPro video footage so won't be using that feature on the camera at all.

Thanks in advanced. Looking forward to having a new gadget!!:D

Associate
OP
Thanks. So this is what you say is good? Is 100mm zoom average?

SONY Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 I High Performance Compact Camera

v0n

v0n

Soldato
RX100 MK5 is a sector re-defining camera. The original was fantastic, MK2 was all that to square, MK3 was best one to date. MK4 was simply unbelievable tech in compact body, but MK5 is just nuts. It's insane. Zoom capabilities are insane. Bursts are insane. Video abilities are insane. Pic quality is beyond anything "compact" ever made.

Associate
RX100 MK5 is a sector re-defining camera. The original was fantastic, MK2 was all that to square, MK3 was best one to date. MK4 was simply unbelievable tech in compact body, but MK5 is just nuts. It's insane. Zoom capabilities are insane. Bursts are insane. Video abilities are insane. Pic quality is beyond anything "compact" ever made.

It's also costs just under £1k. The OP mentioned £350.

Associate
OP
The MK1 is currently £350. What makes MK3 worth £579?

Do they all product nice clear colourful images? And is MK2 just the same but with a flip screen?

MK2 looks like the best option as the flip screen would be good, and the zoom is still 3.6x

Soldato

So it should be for a grand.

Associate
For those situations like yours where I don't want the bulk of a DSLR I use a Canon S100.

For such a small camera the images are great.

Associate
Oh new it is, I was looking at auction site pricing.

And, I forgot to mention you can get a used GM1 for under £350, which is SLR quality!

i-TWHbx63-S.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom