• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Am I getting the best from my 1080?

Associate
Following on from someone asking about a 1070 I have the same question. I've just bought an EVGA 1080 FE, which I will be adding to my watercooling loop when I order a new radiator.

I've started a little bit of Battlefield 1 yesterday as my first game and noticed some points when there was little going on my FPS was at around 45 which seems very very low (Using nVidia Shaddowplay) so thinking something is wrong...

My spec is as follows:

CPU: AMD 8370-E overclocked to 4.5GHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FE (Stock)
RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3 (Have another 16GB that I don't have in at the min but think 16 is more than enough for games).
Hard Drive: Boot on an SSD, Games on Evo SSD
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX v2
Monitor: Asus ROG PG278Q @ 2560x1440

I have done the following:
Enabled 144hz on monitor
Enabled it on monitor within device manager
Set BF1 resolution to 2560x1440 @ 144hz
BF1 all settings ultra/max, vsync off, dx12 on
Installed latest nvidia driver

Is there something else I need to do? Are there any other drivers for any part of my system I should be installing specifically to get better out of any components?

Guru 3D shows 114FPS on a GTX 1080 @ 1440p so would expect something close to that continuously.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/battlefield_1_pc_graphics_benchmark_review,7.html

TIA

Last edited:
Associate
After having a quick read around about that CPU, it seems that it really is the one causing the problems for you. That CPU is being compared to Intel i3's and even they are better

Soldato
Sounds like the CPU. Guru 3D figures are correct as I get 120ish fps with a single 1080 at 1440p.

Speed and core count don't mean a great deal with old architecture. AMD's FX series is rather old now. The i5 6600k is nearly twice as fast as your CPU. And it's only a quad core.

If it is your CPU your better off selling and upgrading to a 6600k or 6700k.

Last edited:
Associate
The AMD FX chips are actually very weak.

This normally doesn't show up because most games are still GPU limited, but in CPU limited games you'll see the full extent of AMDs (current) lack of CPU performance.

Multiplayer games with lots of other players are usually examples of CPU limited games. So BF1 on a 64 player server in particular should be CPU limited.

Here's a good example of the difference CPUs make on relevant games: http://gamegpu.com/images/stories/Test_GPU/strategy/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_VI/s6_proz.png

From here: http://gamegpu.com/rts-/-стратегии/sid-meier-s-civilization-vi-test-gpu

EDIT: Another example of large disparity in CPU performance: http://www.techspot.com/review/1263-gears-of-war-4-benchmarks/page4.html

Like I said, it usually doesn't matter, but in games which do actually need the CPU power the faster Intel chips are just in a different league.

Last edited:
Associate
Wow surprised at the advantage hyperthreading on the i7 6700k has over the i5 6600k!! I downgraded from an i7 to a i5 when I Skylaked assuming hyperthreading in games is not really necessary

Soldato
Yeah the minimums on the gears benchmark look unbelievable, and by that I mean I don't believe it.

All the i7 chips have ~double the minimum fps of the i5 chips :/

v6p3rq.png

Soldato
Sadly your CPU is bottlenecking the card.

Friend of mine has an 8320 overclocked to 4.60GHz and it bottlenecks his 1080 as well.

Also something you may have missed is that the Guru3D review test system was using an Intel Core i7-5960X hence the performance being much better than your system.

Annoying I know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom