South Park

Associate
I think I miss the standalone format. I feel that once they've started on the season story continuation, they're almost forced to work within those realms (although this is South Park so there is a lot of leeway). Maybe I'm getting more cynical as I age but I'm not finding it as funny as I used to and I think this is down to the format change.

Caporegime
That milking scene with semen was.... odd and disturbing to say the least

Still everything else was funny as, especially Geralds enraged wife :D:D

Soldato
I'm guessing that they bet the farm on Hillary winning the presidential election when they were formulating the season's arc, and were thrown when that didn't happen.

So from about halfway through, they've had to take all the plot threads they'd created and try and fashion them into a satisfying conclusion.

Which evidently they didn't manage to do.

This final episode's title - "The End Of Serialization As We Know It" - suggests that they've realised the problems with a long-form approach, or simply just got bored of it.

Hopefully next season will see a return to more self-contained individual stories where the humour stops playing second fiddle to plot development.

Associate
Agree completely. If you asked me to name some of my favorite SP episodes, none would be from the continuation story seasons. For me, SP is at it's best when it's poking fun of the world in standalone episodes.

Caporegime
Hopefully next season will see a return to more self-contained individual stories where the humour stops playing second fiddle to plot development.

Totally agree with this.

It's much funnier when they're standalone episodes, rather than them trying to knit together overly long and complex stories where they try and work the funnies around the political observations, rather than than just concentrating on funny jokes.

Soldato
I don't get it. If this seasons over then what was the point of memberries in the show as there was no conclusion as to their part in the story.

The season isnt over, it'll be the mid season break, it ended with Garrison sitting down in the oval office, which will be about line up timing wise when Trump is actually taking over as president.

Soldato
Agree completely. If you asked me to name some of my favorite SP episodes, none would be from the continuation story seasons. For me, SP is at it's best when it's poking fun of the world in standalone episodes.

Some of the worst episodes started with the PC Principle stories. Still mildly funny but nothing compared to Butters having a throwing star in his eye pretending to be a dog, or even way back when during Halloween when Kenny came as Ed209 and Korn where Scooby-Doo.. Members...

Back
Top Bottom