*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
Yeah, I had the pleasure of wandering about my living room last night waving my phone about like an idiot. Not sure it's made
Much difference but time will tell.

You can do a back to back compare as it is really easy to turn the trueplay stuff on and off in settings the difference on mine is pretty clear not earth shattering or anything but definitely a subtle improvement!

Associate
Put an order in with Richer Sounds today over the phone for a Connect and Play 5 so they'll call me when the Play 5 comes in as they've already held a Connect for me. Due in next Tuesday or Friday so looking forward to having a bit more music about the house over the holidays. 6yr guarantee is really nice.

Soldato
OP
So got a chance to try the Spotify integration last night. I find it works really well.

Not had any longer delays than using Sonos app itself. I've got 5meg internet so it's not that rapid normally but like 5 seconds normally, 10 seconds tops.

Anyway, yeah, means other people that come to the house can choose music. In retrospect our workaround of a playlist shared with friends meant that no one could "take over" the music (apart from Mark who likes to add 1000 copies of that one song he wants to listen to...no one likes Mark...) but yeah, little more flexible in some ways.

Associate
I'd be interested to know how any Android users are finding the app? Reading the reviews on the Play store there seem to be a lot of negative ones. I really like the idea of these but so much is depnedent on how good the app is.

Associate
I'd be interested to know how any Android users are finding the app? Reading the reviews on the Play store there seem to be a lot of negative ones. I really like the idea of these but so much is depnedent on how good the app is.

Mac OS and iOS user here but I was very apprehensive about getting a Sonos due to it's realiance on using it's only app rather than being able to play directly from you device.

Whilst the app for iOS is well designed sometimes it takes getting used to going from using Apple Music all day on the phone or on the MBP, I don't have Spotify so I can't comment on that front but apparently there Sonos is intergrated within Spotify now

Soldato
OP

I'd say it depends how you use it.

For us we're heavily invested in Spotify, but even before the Spotify App integration the Sonos app is fine - but you can almost get away with never using it!

Three things that make it work well for us:

1) It's easy to add favorites from any service (like a radio station, of a Spotify playlist)

This way we don't really use the Sonos app to control anything other than switch between those two services. By using the Spotify app on our computers or phones we're updating a playlist that the Sonos speakers will just automatically see the updates to.

2) The hardware "play/pause" button remembers whatever service was used last. So if you get up in the morning and press "play" it either turns the radio back on or picks up where it left off in your Spotify playlist

3) Use an "Alarm" to reset the device. You can create an alarm that comes on in the morning to any service, playlist or favorite. This way the whole system resets. I.e. we have it set so that our Alarm is Radio2 at 7am. That way every day, no matter what we were listening to the night before the whole system resets to Radio2 without us touching the app.

We've got the alarm set to only be on for 2 hours before it automatically turns off, that way we avoid using the app once again before leaving the house for work.

Or, you could avoid using the app simply by pressing the play/pause button as you leave the house.

Again, an alarm could be made that turns on to your favorite Spotify playlist before you get home OR you do what some people do and create a "silent" alarm (zero volume, only on for 30 minutes) that changes to your favorite playlist and when you walk in the door if you press the play button on the device it starts your playlist.

You can also get 3rd party apps like Yonomi that run on your phone and automatically start your Sonos when it connects to your WiFi :)

The addition of the real Spotify integration works a treat. If you didn't listen to radio and only used Spotify currently then there's zero need to use the Sonos app other than configuration of settings. Something that when you've got it set up to your liking you do only once.

Quick edit: I should clarify that I use the iOS app and everything works "fine". Quickly reading the reviews it sounds like certain features (even like the alarms) are just plain buggy but it also seems like there's not a lot of love for Google Music, which I suppose if you're invested in must be a pain!

Last edited:
Associate
Just got my Play 1's. Have to say I am really impressed by their weight and build quality. The sound is amazing!

How can such a small thing output so much???

Reading some people's comments I was a bit worried they might be a bit small for my room, but they are enough for the whole floor!

Question: I have a Sonos Bridge, that I had when I was living in my previous flat, as the router was not in the living room, so was using that since if you plug that into the router, the ethernet ports in the Playbar could be used to output internet to my computer and TV.

Is there any benefit, apart from the above, in using the bridge?

Associate
It'll form part of the Sonos wireless network as long as one of the Sonos items is connected via cat5/6.

Yes I understand that.

As far as I know the benefits are:

Creation of SonosNet network if you connect it via ethernet (although that's the case with any speaker as well).

Ability to have internet output from any Sonos device.

Is there anything else?

Soldato
OP
Ability to have internet output from any Sonos device.

What does that mean?

As far as I understand it having any Sonos device hard wired only means that it uses the Sonos mesh rather than you home WiFi to communicate and play music in sync.

All of which is possible on WiFi as well, hell, it's the single purpose of the things! :)

Associate
What does that mean?

As far as I understand it having any Sonos device hard wired only means that it uses the Sonos mesh rather than you home WiFi to communicate and play music in sync.

All of which is possible on WiFi as well, hell, it's the single purpose of the things! :)

In my previous flat the router was in the main bedroom.

My PC and TV were in the living room, as such couldn't get internet.

I bought the Sonos Bridge and hardwired it to the router.

The Playbar could then be connected by ethernet to both my PC and TV and provide internet, basically acting like a wireless switch.

The same can be done with any of the Sonos speakers, as long as you have the bridge (or I think any other speaker) hardwired to the router.

Associate
I did not know that! I may have to look into it as I'm currently powerlined to my bedroom from downstairs and it's crap.

It was pretty good for me..it would max out my 14Mbps connection at my old flat, and lag was non noticeable, i.e. I was getting 5-20ms lag in cs servers, so as if I was hardwired.

Soldato
OP
Really eager for the amazon alexa / Sonos support. I stupidly bought the dots thinking i could connect them to my play 1s...

It's very much an interim solution but you can download the Yonomi app (for free) that lets you do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl1YN_YnuRA

Essentially the Yonomi app runs on your phone and is a "device" that Alexa can control. In Yonomi you can create routines that start/stop the Sonos that you can trigger with Alexa.

EDIT: Also note they seem pretty committed to making it happen natively. Just need to hold out a little longer: http://venturebeat.com/2016/08/31/amazon-alexa-sonos-guide/

Last edited:
Associate
Recently got a Samsung ks8000 49inch for my bedroom.. now my room is pretty small, so I can't have a full surround setup.

How would I get on with a Sonos playbar are they any good on their own? I watch a lot of movies etc :)

Back
Top Bottom