Perfectly produced songs/albums?

Permabanned
Interested to hear why you think this. I would go as far as to say Porcupine Tree in terms of musical skill and maturity, are this generations Pink Floyd.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the band to pieces and Gavin Harrison is probably my favourite drummer of all time, but I find Steven to be slightly pretentious in a way that often turns people off the genre... if that makes sense.

I still think TOOL slightly outdo PT musically however in reference to you comment about a modern day Pink Floyd.

Associate
Oh don't get me wrong, I love the band to pieces and Gavin Harrison is probably my favourite drummer of all time, but I find Steven to be slightly pretentious in a way that often turns people off the genre... if that makes sense.

Yeah I agree with this actually.

I still think TOOL slightly outdo PT musically however in reference to you comment about a modern day Pink Floyd.

Love Tool, their odd timings and polyrhythmic drumming are brilliant. I would however argue they're less comparable to Pink Floyd due to the nature of their slightly more aggressive sound. Looking forward to their new album though!

Permabanned
Yeah I agree with this actually.

Love Tool, their odd timings and polyrhythmic drumming are brilliant. I would however argue they're less comparable to Pink Floyd due to the nature of their slightly more aggressive sound. Looking forward to their new album though!

They're one of the great bands in my opinion, even if they did ruin all other music for me for about 5 years straight xD

I get what you mean about there sound though. You look at stuff like 'Undertow' and 'Aenima' and it's so incredibly angry (and dare I say less accessible) when compared to something like 'Dark Side Of The Moon'.

I think TOOL's tunes are more mature in terms of how straight laced the lyrics are. Take something like 'Sound of Muzak' and compare it to 'Hooker With A Penis'. Hooker is just so much more direct and honest imo. Though I can appreciate that's more a subjective point of view. Though, I think you have to admit that the lyrics to Muzak are... cheesey at points xD

I think that there aggression is appropriate, much like how a lot of Floyd's stuff is quite mellow following the hippy movement and such, despite what the themes might be.

Last edited:
Permabanned
SW's repetitive lyrical themes are the only downside to his music for me. I love PT, I have most of their readily available vinyl albums.

Their best work for me is Fear of a Blank Planet which I would love to have on vinyl.

Associate
An original vinyl copy of Free's Fire and Water (or the Abbey Road remaster cut at 16 and 2/3 rpm), and Clive Gregson's Mischief.

Soldato
While there seems to be a lot of Metallica mentioned I think Load & Re-Load are the two albums with the best production values I've heard within the Rock/Metal genre which, traditionally, suffers the worst production known to man :D

Back
Top Bottom