Bay parking etiquette at the supermarket

Associate
Picked a bad day to go shopping I guess but popped to my local Tesco earlier and got some right abuse from someone as I was parking. Not sure what the deal was. It's a busy store (huge car park) so think people were just grumpy but this guy was a complete maniac.

But got me wondering if I did something blatantly wrong and just don't see it. I saw a free bay so drove to side of it and stopped about 3 lines up from it (as I intended to do a reverse bay park). Before reversing I looked in mirror and he had stopped behind me. So assumed he was waiting.

So I started to reverse and turn into bay... then got several beeps. I stopped and he drove beside me and gave me proper verbal (although couldn't hear what he said) then sped off. I just gave him a confused "What?" type stare back.

Got me wondering though.. are you meant to pop indicator on or something in that situation to inform people you are moving into a space? I was never taught that (only passed relatively recently). Maybe he thought I had just stopped and attempted to drive around me then braked as I started my manoeuvre? But surely it was obvious I was parking up.

Man of Honour
It is not worth a moments further discussion or thought as from the information you have given us all we can read is angry bloke got angry. I actually had a similar thing yesterday, not in my direction but at a car in front which turned left but only signalled at the 11th hour. Yes, annoying, but the lorry driver at the junction was actually apoplectic at this action and all I could to was signal to him to calm the **** down for his own health. Time of the year, angry stressed people being asses. Ever was it thus, move on and give it no more thought is my advice.

Associate
OP
Yeah guess so. I over analyse things sometimes, particularly when driving is concerned. Always paranoid I'm not observing a rule. In this case, I'm fairly confident I did zero wrong though. Just a case of impatience on his part.

Associate
I'm afraid that you see more and more impatience these days and the guy is clearly something that the profanity checker would asterisk out.

However, to answer your question when manoeuvring into a parking space I would generally use my indicators to let people know what I am are doing. One trick if you think someone behind you has an attitude issue is to stick your hazard lights on and this confused the simpletons who then generally back off and wait for you to manoeuvre.

But in the end forget about it you will probably never encounter him again. Unfortunately you will encounter plenty of his kind.

Soldato
I park as far as possible from the entrance and usually as far to the left of the bay as possible (to put off people parking on my left and give me maximum space on my right) and yet I've come out of the 24hr Tesco in Hanley (Stoke) at around 3am with virtually deserted car park (<10 cars for 1000+ spaces) and, after my 5 min walk to my car tucked in the corner, I found someone parked on my left who parked in the centre of the bay leaving a very small gap for the driver to get out of the car - Just ****ing why you stupid vapid imbecilic mouth-breathing moron???????

Man of Honour
He probably got angry because you didn't indicate as you stopped to reverse into the bay. Obviously he saw you stop for some unknown reason, you could have stopped for the bay he's earmarked for himself, you could have stopped for something else. But because you didn't indicate, he "claimed" that spot and lost the plot once you started reversing into it.

There's no rule that says you must indicate, but for the sake of moving a stalk in one direction, it saves you potential road rage from people who have no patience.

I indicate everywhere for this very reason.

Soldato
I park as far as possible from the entrance and usually as far to the left of the bay as possible (to put off people parking on my left and give me maximum space on my right) and yet I've come out of the 24hr Tesco in Hanley (Stoke) at around 3am with virtually deserted car park (<10 cars for 1000+ spaces) and, after my 5 min walk to my car tucked in the corner, I found someone parked on my left who parked in the centre of the bay leaving a very small gap for the driver to get out of the car - Just ****ing why you stupid vapid imbecilic mouth-breathing moron???????

Probably me, I like parking normal next to cars parked silly.

Associate
Some bloke once decided he was actually going to push me around because I took 'his' space that he was apparently waiting for.

Never mind that a.) he was nowhere near it and b.) there were dozens of other spaces nearby.

People are weird.

Caporegime

I REALLY hate that. Just why??????

Can they not judge their own parking to keep within the bays without parking next to someone else.

Soldato
Ironic that you seem to be calling anyone a moron based on how you've just described you park.

Soldato
I once had a guy in supermarket car park reverse out of a space and almost straight in to the side of me, I only avoided him because I saw him coming and put my foot down. Then he gave ME lip "because he didn't see me" and it was somehow my fault (logic lol). Some people are total morons, I made it clear that he was one of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ironic that you seem to be calling anyone a moron based on how you've just described you park.

Eh??? I deliberately park far away from everyone in a virtually empty car park, yet I'm the one whose wrong??????

EDIT - Paint Pic for Clarity

parking.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom