YouTube and copyright music... Has something changed ?

Soldato
working fine here desktop w10

although you do deserve punched in the throat for the section that was filmed in portrait

Don
Yeah works here. This is a good idea what you've done, the masses of pictures we take in a year of the kids and never actually do anything with, we do print some but making a collage of vids/pics for the year seems a good idea! What software do you use?

Works fine for me (laptop, running Firefox).

I record fairground videos, and some of my vids have the sound silenced and a few vids have been removed. I'm not sure what the issue is as I don't monetise my videos. I'm just there to record the rides and the kids screaming is louder than whatever the music the ride operator is playing in the background!

Soldato
OP
Yeah works here. This is a good idea what you've done, the masses of pictures we take in a year of the kids and never actually do anything with, we do print some but making a collage of vids/pics for the year seems a good idea! What software do you use?

I fully recommend doing it. My kids are 3 and 1 and I have all 3 years captured and backed up in multiple places. This will be part of their life as they get older. I am not a skilled movie makes and just use windows movie maker and my mobile phone to record everything.

Soldato
Video works fine here - YouTube usually allows 'desktop' installations of browsers to view vids online but restricts mobile/tablet devices - it could be that, as the 'layman' simply browses the net via content consumption devices now (tablets etc)

Soldato
Hi i thought i would post here rather than create a new thread.

So Disney have put a copyright claim on one of my videos.

this one

They havent taken it down or anything - they have just monetized it for themselves. That is, an advert will now play sometimes in front that they generate revenue from.

Ads might appear on your video.
Copyrighted content was found in your video.
The claimant is allowing their content to be used in your YouTube video. However, ads might appear on it.

What the heck happened to fair usage? I am not attempting to monetize my video??? So how can they put a claim in against me?

In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner.4 Apr 2013

I can dispute this but that may incur Disney's wrath and they decide they want me to take my video down. So i get a strike on my youtube account. 3 strikes and your account is banned right?

Is it my fault because i have not put a fair usage declaration in my video? And that if i do that now (in the video and or in the description) then i can get them to remove this copyright claim?

Coincidentally they didnt bother claiming against the other youtube video of exactly the same film footage as it much much fewer views hah

Associate
This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Unable to watch your video from NZ, so looks to be perhaps outside of UK/Europe blocking?

Soldato
What the heck happened to fair usage? I am not attempting to monetize my video??? So how can they put a claim in against me?

I can dispute this but that may incur Disney's wrath and they decide they want me to take my video down. So i get a strike on my youtube account. 3 strikes and your account is banned right?

Is it my fault because i have not put a fair usage declaration in my video? And that if i do that now (in the video and or in the description) then i can get them to remove this copyright claim?

Coincidentally they didnt bother claiming against the other youtube video of exactly the same film footage as it much much fewer views hah

Pretty sure you can't claim fair usage in this case as the actual video isn't using the movie for any purpose that falls under fair use. Your video is commenting/reviewing the projector not the movie.

V F

V F

Soldato
Pretty sure you can't claim fair usage in this case as the actual video isn't using the movie for any purpose that falls under fair use. Your video is commenting/reviewing the projector not the movie.

Maybe they thought it was a tacky pirate attempt in the cinema? :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
just use free for commercial use video and music.
plenty about these days where all you have to do is acknowledge creator, you can even monetise for yourself with no issue.

then you avoid all these issues.

Soldato
A mate of mine finally gave up on Youtube after this debacle a few years back.

That Youtube anti-copyright thing doesn't work that well at all. A friend of mine had trouble with Youtube removing videos of his that it claimed contained copyrighted music. Fair enough, they did, but he was the composer and performer and the music was 100% his. So just whose copyright did they think he was breaching?

Soldato

Im using the video to research and test the visual videlity and quality of the projector. Its only a 2 minute segment.

Examples of fair use in United States copyright law include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, and scholarship.

So thats research purposes no? I havent attempted to commercialize it at all. :confused:

Soldato
This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Unable to watch your video from NZ, so looks to be perhaps outside of UK/Europe blocking?

Wow - thats really draconian measures...just blocking the entire thing. Youtube didnt tell me that my video was blocked in some areas.....

Back
Top Bottom