Surface Pro 4, Surface Book or Dell XPS 13

Associate
I expect it's more to do with their internal processes not allowing an order to be stopped once it has passed a certain step. A silly administrative issue that should not be the customer's problem.

That's exactly it, I ordered various razer accessories, I wanted to cancel 1 item even though they hadn't even dispatched but they said I couldn't and I would have to send them back and it wasn't to the UK.

Soldato
Surface 4 has been out nearly a year, surely there's some kinda massive price drop due? Keen but don't like the ££££

I had the surface pro 3 and hated it. Looked at the surface book but wasn't keen on that either. XPS 13 won it for me. Had to go through one faulty one first mind, but I love it.

Associate
I had the surface pro 3 and hated it. Looked at the surface book but wasn't keen on that either. XPS 13 won it for me. Had to go through one faulty one first mind, but I love it.

Glad you found one to suite your needs. :) I got my Razer Blade Stealth delivered yesterday and am happy thus far. It is a nice bit of kit.

Doesn't change the fact that their customer service isn't great but at least I got it in the end. I am pretty content with the RBS. Definitely nothing to complain about so far.

Soldato

We had some Surface Books turn up a few months ago and had major issues with them not being able to be released from the keyboard. Too big for me as well, the SP seems like the ideal size.

Soldato
Glad you found one to suite your needs. :) I got my Razer Blade Stealth delivered yesterday and am happy thus far. It is a nice bit of kit.

Doesn't change the fact that their customer service isn't great but at least I got it in the end. I am pretty content with the RBS. Definitely nothing to complain about so far.

Would you mind testing something on your RBS? If you have Battlefield 3 or 4 can you let me know what kind of fps you get on QHD on high settings and whether it maxes out the CPU?

Last edited:
Soldato

I have a feeling my stealth will arrive, so if it does....I might have a play

Soldato
OP
Update: Ordered the Dell XPS 15, 1080p screen. It took just over two weeks to arrive. Major back light bleed on the left side so called technical support. Two days later a technician was with me. He changed the screen only to find the new one had been damaged (unusable) in transit. This means another half day working from home tomorrow.

So far so good then...

Really annoying they don't allow you to pick the bigger battery with the 1080p screen in the UK either. They're built to order!

Soldato
I went ahead and ordered a lenovo 510 and absolutely love it! Not tried a surface but can't see what I'm missing, the only down side is no dock for charging and HDMI output

Permabanned
Yeah the trackpad is functional but bigger would have been better, plus quieter buttons wouldn't have went a miss.

It's the lag that drives me nuts... the delay between your finger moving on the trackpad and the mouse responding is one of the longest of any trackpad I've ever used... even worse than wireless mice.

On the flip side, the surface pro flip cover trackpad is more responsive than most wired trackpads and yet it's wireless :S

Associate
Surface Pro 4, Core M, 4GB ram, 128GB down to £549 with type cover on rainforest site. Wasn't this £749 without the cover not long ago? If so this is a brilliant deal

Caporegime
I'm just waiting for an XPS 13 from dell outlet, 16GB Ram, i7-7500 processor, 1TB SSD (discounted price + student discount brought it to just under £1200)

I don't really have too much use for windows but might use it for some things, so the big SSD is going to be useful to dual boot with linux mint or ubuntu

have been using apple laptops for my personal machine for a while and previously had dell latitude laptops for work, though generally with windows 7 and VPN for various unix/linux environments

I'm a little concerned by some of the comments re: XPS 13 in this thread, I'm not in a position where I'd want to return the thing or have to faff about... they've already missed a delivery date and will not be delivering the thing until late next week. I've not really used windows 10 and am going to have some minor faff setting up partitions, installing linux.

I'm half wondering whether I should just splash out on a macbook pro to avoid any hassle.

Associate
I loved my XPS 13. If I was in the world where I wanted a slim, light and portable work machine I would get another XPS 13 again. It's arguably the best Mac Book rival the Windows platform has in my opinion.

I only sold mine as I needed something with a better GPU (I'm using a Alienware 15 R3 with a GTX 1070 now).

Back
Top Bottom