Gigabyte X99-SLI is slow after firmware update

Associate
I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to sort this out...

I updated the firmware from F1 to F22 (latest version on the Gigabyte site). Following this there is a significant delay getting the machine to boot. After powering on or rebooting it now takes around 85 seconds to reach the splash screen. If I press DEL to enter the BIOS it takes a further 40 seconds.

Once in the BIOS it appears to be fine. When I'm in Windows it's also fine. But this delay is driving me mad.

I've tried unplugging all USB devices and two mechanical HDDs and this didn't help. I've reset to optimised settings and this also made no difference.

I'd be happy going back to F1 firmware but it won't let me install this now as it's an older version than is installed on the motherboard. Although I understand this board is a dual bios, I cannot see any way of reverting to the other bios (which with some luck still have F1 installed).

Any ideas?

Soldato
Not sure about giga, but on my Asus X99 boards they have something called memory/RAM training. This takes ages.

See if there's a similar setting in your BIOS Andy if so, disable it.

Also check the obvious, fast boot enabled, no delays in splash screen setting, csm settings disabled.

You on win10? If so, advanced power management and make sure fast boot is ticked.

Make sure PXE boot is off/disabled

Read this too

Last edited:
Associate
OP
There doesn't seem to be any mention of memory/RAM training in the bios, other than a voltage setting which is set to auto.

I tried setting fast boot to enabled, turned off CSM (by enabling win8/10 functionality which was previously off). PXE Boot was already off. The long delay prior to post was still there and this time I had a message saying boot failure detected which pushed me back into the BIOS or allows me to set optimised defaults again.

I had read that other thread and already tried removing all other drives other than my boot drive prior to boot - unfortunately it made no difference.

I am using Win10 and fast boot is ticked. I'm fairly sure it's nothing to do with Windows as the delay is happening prior to seeing the splash screen.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks Armadillo, that link did the trick. I've flashed again with the F1 bios and everything is silky smooth again.

I owe you one, cheers.

Associate
OP
After a few days I thought I'd report back - just in case anyone has similar issues in future.

The reason for wanting to upgrade the BIOS was because my overclocks were frequently being rejected on boot. I could overclock my CPU but had to underclock my RAM, or I could have my RAM at standard speed (3000mhz) but the CPU had to remain at stock. Flashing to F22 only made these problems worse.

Since going back to F1 everything is like new. My overclocks are back to being stable (CPU and memory). I guess there was some corruption on the BIOS but reflashing to F1 has resolved everything.

Soldato
:(. X99 seems strange.

The cold boot fails were one of the reasons I went over to F22E (gone now), then to F22 (E was beta) + the better fan control (F22 does away with the nonsense pwm %/C crap).

Was getting cold boot fails after changing a usb device, updating cured it.

I'm not overclocked though. Glad it's working, but X99 just seems so odd and fussy at times.

Back
Top Bottom