Mounting a system SSD in th ewrong PC?

Capodecina
Soldato
I have been asked to recover data off the SSD from a borked Laptop.
I have access to an identical working laptop.
I know that Windows checks that you have not loaded the system drive from one machine in another machine - in order to combat piracy.
What I don't know is the EXACT sequence of events if you do so.
I believe that a clock starts ticking and after a number of days the OS is disabled until you contact Microsoft.
  • Will the system into which the system disk has been installed have ANY restricted functionality before the OS is disabled?
  • What happens if before the OS is disabled you return the disk to the original system?

Soldato
I have been asked to recover data off the SSD from a borked Laptop.
I have access to an identical working laptop.
I know that Windows checks that you have not loaded the system drive from one machine in another machine - in order to combat piracy.

I am no expert but would think that the safest thing from a data recovery viewpoint would NOT be to boot from this SSD in another laptop!!

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
External USB hard drive caddy.
Thanks, good plan!

The SSD in question is a 120GB OCZ Vertex Plus. I tried reading it on my desktop system but it seems that the OCZ Vertex Plus SSD is incompatible with the Intel LGA1150 or the Haswell chipset, or the Intel Z97 Southbridge . . . or something - bizarre!

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . . and it it didn't work with the OCZ Vertez 2 SSD.

I believe that this SSD uses a 1st generation SandForce controller which seems to be a wee bit "fussy".

I know that the caddy works because I have read two other 2½" SATA drives using it although it doesn't work with a 500 GB 3½" SATA drive that I have just tried.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom