• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Soldato
re 980 970 Really ? i owned both , remind me which card was borked again ;) ?

Do you mean the incredibly successful card that was perfectly pitched at its intended resolution with more than enough vram (overkill really) for its intended use ?:D

Man of Honour
Pretty big gap in performance between the GTX 1080 and Titan XP (the GTX x80 Ti is usually just a cheaper version of the Titan X).

I use both and for most things either will do.

To get the most out of the Pascal Titan (and the up coming 1080 Ti) you have to fit waterblocks. If you don't with the 1080 Ti (or you have a very good AIB partner cooling solution) you will be hard pressed to tell the difference compared to a fast 1080.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use both and for most things either will do.

To get the most out of the Pascal Titan (and the up coming 1080 Ti) you have to fit waterblocks. If you don't with the 1080 Ti (or you have a very good AIB partner cooling solution) you will be hard pressed to tell the difference compared to a fast 1080.

Having said that my Pascal Titan PC is a beast.

4 way SLI
2 x 1500 watt PSUs
2 x 420mm Rads
6950X
Watercooled and totally silent apart from the water pump. The fans on the PSUs don't have to run even with everything overclocked.:D

Hows 4 way support on the Titan Xp kaap? Is it still gettin supported?

Soldato
This ^100%.

If your on the 1080 there is no need what so ever for Ti. If you want to waste money wait until 11 series. That won't be long before released. 1080Ti=Money Grab

:rolleyes: the x80 and Titan cards are the money grab cards historically, x80 cards are normally priced much higher for not much more perf over the x70 cards. For the money the Ti's have been pretty decent in performance since they last a long time.

Man of Honour
:rolleyes: the x80 and Titan cards are the money grab cards historically, x80 cards are normally priced much higher for not much more perf over the x70 cards. For the money the Ti's have been pretty decent in performance since they last a long time.

It is actually the x80 Ti card that is the money grab card as it comes with a higher price than the x80 cards.

Titans as a long term investment are petty good as the extra memory gives them a very long service life. You can still use the original Titans as they had 6gb of memory, everything else from that era won't run the latest games.

Soldato
This ^100%.

If your on the 1080 there is no need what so ever for Ti. If you want to waste money wait until 11 series. That won't be long before released. 1080Ti=Money Grab

See I didn't buy a 1080 as I thought that was the money grab card. I decided to wait for a 1080Ti (or AMD equivalent).
Last time around I bought the 980 for ~£440 (if memory serves) and then the 980Ti came out and was soon around £550-£600. I considered the 980Ti to be a significantly better card than the 980.

So I guess if you went with the 980Ti then the 1080 was a money grab for a small improvement and the 1080Ti will give the better performance increase.
If you went with the 980 (or lower) then you could probably justify the 1080.

I think it make sense to at least stay on the same tier (or go up) each generation or 2. Going from x80Ti to next gen x80 or x80 to same gen x80Ti is probably not worth it.

Associate
It is actually the x80 Ti card that is the money grab card as it comes with a higher price than the x80 cards.

Titans as a long term investment are petty good as the extra memory gives them a very long service life. You can still use the original Titans as they had 6gb of memory, everything else from that era won't run the latest games.

I disagree with this, the x80ti cards usually replace the x80 price point or just slightly above it for much more performance so its hardly a cash grab.

Titans are definitely the biggest cash grab, 7970 is a year+ older than the original titan (not to mention a fraction of the price) and can compete with it in latest games. The amount of memory they put on them is useless for gaming imo and is just there because of the high price tag.

Caporegime
20% Better than a Titan XP? Cor blimey, I don't think we'll see that till the 110 series. Now who demanded that big of a boost? I reckon a 5-10% bonus should be good enough perhaps, considering how close Titan XP get's to 4k60.

Borked? What borked. It's just 3.5GB VRAM is all :D (even though they misadvertised it and messed up there)

Maybe you're right. But I'm eager to be off these bad Nvidia drivers, so I'm banking on Vega not being a disappointment. Either that or a fresh new (1080ti?) Nvidia GPU, maybe it's my 970 that is the issue?

Again where does this assumption that the 1080ti will be faster than a titan and be 5-10% never 20% faster?

Soldato
Not sure why I opened this thread to find useful info... Predictable strange claims and product rubbishing as always. I'm not gonna lie i'll be tempted to jump from my 1080s but we will see how the price/card stacks up.

Aint gonna be better than the Titan, no logic there... Potentially 'close' for some extreme overclocks but the TXP seems to be an absolute beast.

Associate
Not sure why I opened this thread to find useful info... Predictable strange claims and product rubbishing as always. I'm not gonna lie i'll be tempted to jump from my 1080s but we will see how the price/card stacks up.

Aint gonna be better than the Titan, no logic there... Potentially 'close' for some extreme overclocks but the TXP seems to be an absolute beast.

It is a beast especially when liquid cooled but is it normal to still want more?:)

Don
If you want to discuss the merits of different manufacturers/generations of cards start a thread for it. Any more off topic or petty comments will lead to suspensions.

bru

bru

Soldato
Other than that Linkedin leak, is there anything at all solid about this card?

This really is it.

If we think about this sensibly, we do not know what NVidia will do next, the 900 series had a 980ti above the 980, which as we know was only just slower than the 900 series TitanX.
But the only other top flight ti card was the 780ti which of course was faster than the then currant Titan.

So the way is open for NVidia to go in either direction, no precedent has been set.
Up to now all the full GP102 parts have been going into Quadro P6000 or Tesla P40, are they stockpiling cores or are they using all they can make on the compute parts? Probably the latter seeing as the 900 series lacked a serious compute part.

Whatever NVidia decide to do, the only thing we can be certain of, is it will be faster than the 1080.

Associate
I believe it will be faster than TXP.

But what worries me is the price they'll charge for it,

My main concern is price. I have been holding off a 80GTX as I knew the Ti was going to happen. If its under £700 then I will happily get one if not then a GTX plus new monitor will be purchased.

My old faithful 780GTX manages with most things but will die at anything over 1080p.

Back
Top Bottom