Poll: Poll pls: In the presence of a dedicated cycle lane, should cyclists be allowed to use the roads?

In the presence of a dedicated cycle lane, should cyclists be allowed to use the roads?

• Yes

Votes: 170 26.6%
  • No

Votes: 218 34.1%
  • Yes but only if conditions of cycle lane are unsafe

Votes: 252 39.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
It's like saying, should pedestrians be allowed to walk in the road when there's a perfectly good footpath to walk on. Of course not.

If there's a perfectly good cycle lane there to protect cyclists, by keeping them separate from bigger faster vehicles, they should use it. It's all very well being a militant cyclist, but it doesn't do you any good when you've been run over.

Soldato
Roundabout in question I'd probably use the cycle lanes, but I'd see no reason not to use the roundabout like a normal road, the traffic lights have cycle separation and makes more sense to turn right.

Regarding this point:

It gets extremely busy and as a motorist I need to keep my eyes on so many things and a single cyclist can completely ruin the flow of traffic, and is a danger to both themselves and others.

This is expected of a road user.

Caporegime
OP
This is expected of a road user.

Well yes, that's a bit of a given isn't it? I don't exactly put on a blindfold and go hammering down the road to the Benny Hill theme.

My point is when drivers have so much to pay attention to already, surely it's common sense to stay away? The chances of them not seeing you and hitting you is significantly greater than on a normal straight single carriageway.

Soldato
The lycra clad imbeclies are the worst. I actually hate them more than addison lee drivers and thats saying somethng.

Working and driving in london 5/6 hours every day i get to see these idiots at thier worst. And due to the nature of my job get to let say "interact" with them quite a lot and they are so ignorant and self entitled its no wonder everyone hates all cyclists. It pains me to admit that altho an pita and hinderance 50% of Non lycra wearing cyclists are ok and actually conciderate to other road users.

We spent months modifying junctions (wasting tax payers money) building the cycle super waste of time only for the cyclists to ride in the road anyway. But the end goal isnt to make london safer its to move traffic and pollution away from roads like the embankment and onto council roads so that the polution target can be met. It was done in islington aswell ive seen the traffic models, reducing the angel down from 3-2-1 lanes.

Soldato
My argument is why bother building cycle lanes if cyclists don't want to use them?

Regardless of the argument for who should and shouldn't and when and when not they want to use them is regardless.

There is no point in putting money into them if they should be partially used. I assume they build them for safety.

Put proper reflectors on bikes, the ones that stick out to the side and make them compulsory along with helmets.

Make them as visible as possible. It might not be fashionable, but surely saving lives is at the foremost.

Soldato
My argument is why bother building cycle lanes if cyclists don't want to use them?

Regardless of the argument for who should and shouldn't and when and when not they want to use them is regardless.

There is no point in putting money into them if they should be partially used. I assume they build them for safety.

Put proper reflectors on bikes, the ones that stick out to the side and make them compulsory along with helmets.

Make them as visible as possible. It might not be fashionable, but surely saving lives is at the foremost.

I said why in my post :) its traffic shaping with a saftey excuse thats all it is (in london that is)

Soldato
I said why in my post :) its traffic shaping with a saftey excuse thats all it is (in london that is)

You have also get through the wannabe Chris Hoy's. They often wear dark lycra with rather pathetic strobe lights under the PC protection of being fit or green.

A number of years ago bull bars were taken off 4x4 as they were down right dangerous to pedestrians and other road users.

They were rather annoyed as it was a styling option but had to give in. Cyclists need to do the same and accept they need to give up the image to make them as least vulnerable as possible.

Then we can come down hard on motorists who ignore them and their vulnerabilities (we should being doing this now harder). But the door swings both ways.

Caporegime
Voted #3 but I'd rather see some form of compulsory training for cyclists, the majority I see when I'm out and about seem clueless and many have an apparent death wish when riding near articulated trucks!

Caporegime
OP
Voted #3 but I'd rather see some form of compulsory training for cyclists, the majority I see when I'm out and about seem clueless and many have an apparent death wish when riding near articulated trucks!

The thing that gets me the most is Boris Bikes. "Oh, you come from a country where people ride donkeys and the busiest road has about 15 cars on it all day? And you ride on the other side of the road too? And you've never driven a car? Ok cool, here's a bicycle, feel free to ride all over some of the world's busiest streets, it'll be fine, don't worry".

Man of Honour

Cyclist training should indeed be compulsory - for everyone, not just cyclists. I see idiot pedestrians, drivers and cyclists all the time.

Back
Top Bottom