*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
Takes longer than a year to develop a console.

Anyway u don't really care. Those long haul flights with a 3D Mario. Please give me now.

But if the battery only lasts a couple of hours, then you'll be lugging a brick most of that flight. Performance-wise, I'm happy. It crushes a 3DS and is probably competitive with some top end tablets too. But this is a portable and as I've said, battery life is key. Maxwell makes it less likely to last long.

Soldato
But if the battery only lasts a couple of hours, then you'll be lugging a brick most of that flight. Performance-wise, I'm happy. It crushes a 3DS and is probably competitive with some top end tablets too. But this is a portable and as I've said, battery life is key. Maxwell makes it less likely to last long.

Maxwell would have been better but at least if it comes with USB-C it's fast charge and will be compatible with pretty much any battery pack out there.

Given Nintendo are merging their home console and handheld lines with the switch this should pretty much guarantee a constant stream of quality first party titles. Certainly enough to justify picking it up on launch IMO and this is before you take into account their back catalogue of games from the Wii U, Wii and gamecube which are ripe for porting to mobile versions.

I think Nintendo have nailed it with the design and concept of the Switch. Hopefully sales are good as 3rd party support wouldn't hurt though!

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Takes longer than a year to develop a console.

Sure, but that would be the whole thing. The SoC part I am sure could have been dropped in much later and been a 16nm Pascal if they wanted to.

Anyway u don't really care. Those long haul flights with a 3D Mario. Please give me now.

;):D

I recently got my 22400mah Power Bank on sale. I am ready :)

Soldato
Nintendo will not use USB-C. They love their proprietary jacks, just look at all the consoles down the years or the DS power adaptor.

It would be good if it can be charged via USB power brick though, then at least one can get round the problem slightly as I carry one round for my phone anyway.

To be fair, the jack for my Gameboy SP is the same as my 3DSXL, and the adapter on my snes is the same as the Wii, so they atleast keep form factor the same.

Soldato
Nintendo will not use USB-C. They love their proprietary jacks, just look at all the consoles down the years or the DS power adaptor.

It would be good if it can be charged via USB power brick though, then at least one can get round the problem slightly as I carry one round for my phone anyway.

The Wii U Pro controller uses mini USB for charging ;)

Associate
The Switch shouldn't need western AAA ports if its well supported by Atlus, Platinum, Square and other premium Japanese developers. It needs to be region free though.

Man of Honour
I think people are forgetting that this is a handheld. The DS has 1,800 titles available to it according to Wiki. The switch is going to straddle that space as well as the nintendo home console one. I think it will get support from 3rd parties but that doesn't necessarily mean identical titles to microsoft and playstation.

People are thinking of the user base of the wii u, don't forget the user base of the DS.

Soldato
I think people are forgetting that this is a handheld. The DS has 1,800 titles available to it according to Wiki. The switch is going to straddle that space as well as the nintendo home console one. I think it will get support from 3rd parties but that doesn't necessarily mean identical titles to microsoft and playstation.

People are thinking of the user base of the wii u, don't forget the user base of the DS.

Then it needs to release at a price point more in line with the DS than the Wii U.

It really is just a upgrade to the DS that you can also play on a TV to me.

Caporegime
Personally I can't see it not being a success.

It's got a huge hype (regardless of specs, anyone who thought that they might get current gen powers is just kidding themselves :p ) - it appeals to mobile gamers, console gamers, everything inbetween gamers. Plus the nostalgic gamers who want another Mario & Zelda (like meee)

It's gonna be big and great :)

Soldato
Personally I can't see it not being a success.

It's got a huge hype (regardless of specs, anyone who thought that they might get current gen powers is just kidding themselves :p ) - it appeals to mobile gamers, console gamers, everything inbetween gamers. Plus the nostalgic gamers who want another Mario & Zelda (like meee)

It's gonna be big and great :)

It doesn't really have hype outside of this thread from what I've seen.

I had every Nintendo console up until the Wii. I agree with others that Nintendo need to embrace 3rd party support as not everybody buys multiple consoles. Warbie nailed it above, Nintendo used to fire out new IP and fresh ideas no end now its same old same old. There is an arrogance though when it comes to Nintendo fan boys where they refuse to believe great exclusives exsist on other consoles or 3rd party titles are some of the best out there. Until Nintendo shifts its mindset and its hardcore fans demand more they will get stuck in a cycle of failure. I want Nintendo to succeed as I grew up with them but this console had failure written all over it.

Caporegime
It doesn't really have hype outside of this thread from what I've seen.

I had every Nintendo console up until the Wii. I agree with others that Nintendo need to embrace 3rd party support as not everybody buys multiple consoles. Warbie nailed it above, Nintendo used to fire out new IP and fresh ideas no end now its same old same old. There is an arrogance though when it comes to Nintendo fan boys where they refuse to believe great exclusives exsist on other consoles or 3rd party titles are some of the best out there. Until Nintendo shifts its mindset and its hardcore fans demand more they will get stuck in a cycle of failure. I want Nintendo to succeed as I grew up with them but this console had failure written all over it.

I've seen it on other forums, youtube, twitter etc? :confused:

I agree new stuff needs to come out. I agree that 3rd party support is important. I love Nintendo. But I am not diehard enough to refuse to believe other 3rd party exclusives are not a good idea, they're a great idea! :p

I do think that Nintendo is turning a different leaf with this one though. For starters, it's been advertised. It's already a step ahead of the predecessor :p

Man of Honour

That's the most exciting aspect for me. One single platform for all of Nintendo's home and portable games, both of which I can play at home or on the move.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's the most exciting aspect for me. One single platform for all of Nintendo's home and portable games, both of which I can play at home of on the move.

I completely believe this is the basis for much of the decision making. Reduce the cost, so it's well within hand-held range. It's not going to compete for specs anyway.

If Nintendo unify their systems, surely the horrible drought of first party games can be addressed?

There's always a part of me that wishes Nintendo would just be conventional. But that is never going to happen now. They've clearly accepted they'll lose some of their audience at this point.

Associate
The way I see it Nintendo need a bigger system alongside this one.

What's stopping them releasing the switch and then releasing a more conventional 'pc-like' console aswell. They'll have the Switch's online functionality/environment already and all the Switch games will play on that too.
This will give 3rd party dev's something to release games on and give people who want the higher end system an option. Die hards can still stick to the Switch if they must.

It can't be as difficult making a 'pc-like' console (ala xbox, ps4). Sony rolled the ps4 pro out quickly enough because they had all the other stuff in place, just like Nintendo will have when the switch comes along.

This would give Nintendo the boost they need in terms of getting the word out to newer generations. All the talk/buzz nowadays is about the AAA's (rightly or wrongly) and Nintendo are nowhere to be seen.

Just because this system has more power doesn't mean Nintendo have to use it, all their games can still run on both systems if they wish.

Soldato

Don't hate on me but i'm actually hoping the Switch bombs and Nintendo are forced to go software only. I honestly never thought i'd say that, but given the power of current/future consoles and what Nintendo could do if they focused solely on software with said power and a decent online infrastructure behind them, it would be a golden time for gamers. You think the new Zelda looks impressive - we'd be getting titles in a totally different league. And, they'd have a market of core gamers again, rather than the fanboys and younger generations they've had since the Wii, and would be developing their games accordingly.

Last edited:
Soldato

What's stopping them releasing the switch and then releasing a more conventional 'pc-like' console aswell. They'll have the Switch's online functionality/environment already and all the Switch games will play on that too.
This will give 3rd party dev's something to release games on and give people who want the higher end system an option. Die hards can still stick to the Switch if they must.

It can't be as difficult making a 'pc-like' console (ala xbox, ps4). Sony rolled the ps4 pro out quickly enough because they had all the other stuff in place, just like Nintendo will have when the switch comes along.

This would give Nintendo the boost they need in terms of getting the word out to newer generations. All the talk/buzz nowadays is about the AAA's (rightly or wrongly) and Nintendo are nowhere to be seen.

Just because this system has more power doesn't mean Nintendo have to use it, all their games can still run on both systems if they wish.

Nah, just the one console please :)

Buy a gaming PC if you want a PC like console.

Soldato
Don't hate on me but i'm actually hoping the Switch bombs and Nintendo are forced to go software only. I honestly never thought i'd say that, but given the power of current/future consoles and what Nintendo could do if they focused solely on software with said power and a decent online infrastructure behind them, it would be a golden time for gamers. You think the new Zelda looks impressive - we'd be getting titles in a totally different league. And, they'd have a market of core gamers again, rather than the fanboys and younger generations they've had since the Wii, and would be developing their games accordingly.

+1, I wish they would drop all the silly controls and low spec hardware and do a proper console or go software only. If they went software only they would have more time to make great games, they just seem to waste all their time on gimmicks.

Back
Top Bottom