*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
+1, I wish they would drop all the silly controls and low spec hardware and do a proper console or go software only. If they went software only they would have more time to make great games, they just seem to waste all their time on gimmicks.

To counter that, why can't they be applauded for not going with the status quo and doing their own thing?

It was a sad day when Sega went software only (Sonic was never the same) and would be even more sadder if I saw a Mario game on the PS4/Xbox.

Associate
Nintendo will not use USB-C. They love their proprietary jacks, just look at all the consoles down the years or the DS power adaptor.

Makes sense, except WiiU pro controller had the same port/charger as PS3 controllers. And if they ever release a 'new' or 'XL' version of the Switch down the line, they'll probably pull the same jerk move and not include said proprietary charger with the console (like they have with the later releases of 3DS). Nintendo loves their closed and controlled ecosystem, it's why they can't stand the likes of mods, homebrew and of course: fan games. Biggest douchebags when it comes to that last one.

Then it needs to release at a price point more in line with the DS than the Wii U.

It really is just a upgrade to the DS that you can also play on a TV to me.

It's not an upgrade, since it doesn't have 2 screens and the gameplay is more traditional. Unless you mean it's the next Nintendo handheld, which I agree with you. It is likely to have a price-point close to the 3DS. You can already pre-order a base version (no games or extras) for £198.50 and that's with a pre-order price guarantee, thus it will be that price regardless when you buy.

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Vidww4tgNSwitch/Nintendo-Switch-Console

Nah, just the one console please :)

Buy a gaming PC if you want a PC like console.

+1

But swap 'buy' for 'build', cos pre-built 'gaming PCs' are terrible. The other consoles have adapted the bad aspects of the PC and it's taking away from what makes them great as consoles. Right now, their strongest aspect is exclusives... and the XB1 doesn't even have that anymore, hence it's the only console I don't own. I'm glad Nintendo are doing their own thing.

Sure they make bad decisions and like to lock down their hardware, but competition is good. We don't want consoles to end up like Intel vs AMD over the past few years, a strong 3rd player in the market is beneficial to all, regardless of which console you're interested in. And that's what Nintendo is... on the handheld side at least.

Soldato
It was a sad day when Sega went software only (Sonic was never the same) and would be even more sadder if I saw a Mario game on the PS4/Xbox.

If we were still getting shed loads of quality and original Nintendo games, i'd agree with you. And Sonic didn't go bad because Sega stopped making hardware - they just misused the IP and developed a load of crap games.

Associate
Mate, I've been PC almost 20 years. You don't want to rely on broken and delayed games on PC :p

Love PC gaming to bits buts its also going downhill

I've also been pc gaming for a while, and certainly see very few proper (imo) games on ps4 or Xbox.

'Hard core' is a term that has changed a lot since the 90s.

Soldato
Trying hard not to but all I can be is disappointed that it's less powerful than the shield when docked, seriously come on guys that's pretty pathetic :D

I am looking forward to having one but the docked specs are laughable. :(

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Trying hard not to but all I can be is disappointed that it's less powerful than the shield when docked, seriously come on guys that's pretty pathetic :D

I am looking forward to having one but the docked specs are laughable. :(

It really is, but oh well. Where else can I get the latest Nintendo exclusives? :(:p:D

Soldato
People always calling for Nintendo to go software only but they wont. They have so much money in the bank they can afford to do these "experimental" consoles and risk them fail. They have enough money to release 3 generations of failed consoles and still be in profit to make a 4th! Microsoft or Sony cant dream of doing something like that.

Nintendo also shaped the way gaming is played today. Start, select, back buttons, analog stick, rumble controls, multiplayer controller ports, battery back-up saves. Where would the console/gaming world be if Nintendo wasn't around? They saved the gaming industry from the video game crash of 1983. So let them carry on with their low powered console which dont compete with the high end. If they want to release a 4K gaming console power house then they can but they have no reason to as along as their back pockets can maintain it. You don't see MS or Sony bring anything innovate to the gaming world (Sega tried), they try and copy Nintendo's idea's then fail, Kinect, PS Move, Eyetoy, PS Vita and PSP. So instead they just live of Call of Duty and Fifa every year.

Last edited:
Soldato
People always calling for Nintendo to go software only but they wont. They have so much money in the bank they can afford to do these "experimental" consoles and risk them fail. They have enough money to release 3 generations of failed consoles and still be in profit to make a 4th! Microsoft or Sony cant dream of doing something like that.

Nintendo also shaped the way gaming is played today. Start, select, back buttons, analog stick, rumble controls, multiplayer controller ports, battery back-up saves. Where would the console/gaming world be if Nintendo wasn't around? They saved the gaming industry from the video game crash of 1983. So let them carry on with their low powered console which dont compete with the high end. If they want to release a 4K gaming console power house then they can but they have no reason to as along as their back pockets can maintain it. You don't see MS or Sony bring anything innovate to the gaming world (Sega tried), they try and copy Nintendo's idea's then fail, Kinect, PS Move, Eyetoy, PS Vita and PSP. So instead they just live of Call of Duty and Fifa every year.

It was quite a good post until the last sentence.

I would give more credit to Sony with regards to bringing gaming out of the bedroom and making gaming mainstream.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
+1, I wish they would drop all the silly controls and low spec hardware and do a proper console or go software only. If they went software only they would have more time to make great games, they just seem to waste all their time on gimmicks.

What? Software developers are not also hardware architects.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What? Software developers are not also hardware architects.

Yes but they send the software developers on years long holidays while hardware architects work. They are not allowed to work at the same time, didn't you know? Thought it was common knowledge by now about Japanese culture :p:D

I suppose what he means is the resources, fire hardware guys, hire extra software guys with the money.

Man of Honour
Yes but they send the software developers on years long holidays while hardware architects work. They are not allowed to work at the same time, didn't you know? Thought it was common knowledge by now about Japanese culture :p:D

I suppose what he means is the resources, fire hardware guys, hire extra software guys with the money.

I was about to go off on one until I read the second sentence :p

Soldato

Nintendo only have a fraction of the cash that Microsoft has. If Microsoft wanted to they could run there gaming division at a loss indefinitely and it wouldn't make a dent on there money.

Man of Honour
Nintendo only have a fraction of the cash that Microsoft has. If Microsoft wanted to they could run there gaming division at a loss indefinitely and it wouldn't make a dent on there money.

MS's gaming division (Microsoft Studios) are segregated from the rest of the company, and have lower cash reserves than Nintendo do.

As a separate entity they can't just suck money out of other core services from Microsoft.

Soldato
Nintendo also shaped the way gaming is played today. Start, select, back buttons, analog stick, rumble controls, multiplayer controller ports, battery back-up saves. Where would the console/gaming world be if Nintendo wasn't around?

Agreed. Peerlessly innovative both in terms of hardware and software. In their glory days no other developer came close. Great hardware aside, the no. of great IPs they've developed is insane. But they're no longer doing that software wise (hardware wise they've been hit and miss too). They're going backwards and focusing on the same few big hitters. There's no doubt Zelda will be great and i'm cautiously optimistic re. Mario (hopefully a Mario 64 as opposed to a 3D World), but there's nothing else i'm really looking forward to on the Switch. Zelda is very bitter sweet btw - we've been waiting for years and years and years for a WiiU Zelda and now it's getting the sub par version! When I think of Nintendo now i'm not thinking of the stuff you mentioned - i'm thinking of the looong game droughts, the innovation they're not showing in their games and the franchises they've neglected. So what if they can afford to do their own thing - wouldn't it be better for everyone if they were unleashed on decent hardware and given a reason (massive audiences) to show what they can really do.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I was about to go off on one until I read the second sentence :p

:D

When Pokémon games start to hit this thing they're not going to be able to make Switch units fast enough.

Yeah. If all handheld development moves from 3DS then the Switch will definitely be successful. Even with the spec being a disappointing, with all those extra good games, people will soon forget about that.

Back
Top Bottom