*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
I think Pikmin and Splatoon are the most innovative RTS and FPS games out there.

I've played Splatoon for a few minutes - so can't really comment - and I love Pikmin. Although to be fair Pikmin is 15 years old! So more an example of what i'm talking about re. how they used to innovate.

Associate
What is your definition of a "proper" game?

Quite a personal one! :) Something that is fun to play, gives a sense of achievement. Ideally something that surprises too, and i don't mean story-wise as most games that think they have great writing or crazy plot twists are derivative the previous decades we have had books and movies. Gaming has a medium has much better ways to surprise and evoke some sense of awe or wonder.

Lot's of games these days are too cinematic, and I'm not into playing interactive stories.

Soldato
Anyone here planning on getting this but already have all the consoles and a PC?
I feel like I have overdone it. I have both an Xbone (Scorpio soon) PS4 Pro and Vita. I'm thinking I need to sell my Vita (and possibly my wife her DS) for this to make sense. Really keen to play Zelda though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have all the consoles and a gaming PC, but I will be getting this. Having both the PS4 and XBox One has been a waste, but the Switch offers something neither of those two can.

Soldato
Hmm exclusives though, even though there is crossplay both consoles have been very useful for exclusives. So much so that my PC has been underused.
My Vita has been underused though which is why I'm thinking it may be the one to go.

Associate
Anyone here planning on getting this but already have all the consoles and a PC?
I feel like I have overdone it. I have both an Xbone (Scorpio soon) PS4 Pro and Vita. I'm thinking I need to sell my Vita (and possibly my wife her DS) for this to make sense. Really keen to play Zelda though.

Maybe. Will see how the reviews go when it's out. Could be handy for flights when going on holiday etc. I've got an iPad to entertain me for those, but playing games would be nice too :D.

Man of Honour
Hmm exclusives though, even though there is crossplay both consoles have been very useful for exclusives. So much so that my PC has been underused.
My Vita has been underused though which is why I'm thinking it may be the one to go.

If that's what you're after then buying a Switch is a no-brainer.

Soldato
Maybe. Will see how the reviews go when it's out. Could be handy for flights when going on holiday etc. I've got an iPad to entertain me for those, but playing games would be nice too :D.

No iPad for me, only had one from work but I am changing jobs now so will just share my wife's from now on. This would be a far better toy for me :)

If that's what you're after then buying a Switch is a no-brainer.

Yeh from an exclusive point of view there are some banging games hat I want to play and being able to carry them around would be awesome.

Associate
My problem is I buy this stuff, few weeks of play, then never touched again and back to the PC for games. I feel though the Switch may potentially get more use arising from travelling, being in my hotel room etc.

Soldato

I have a gaming PC with xfire and freesync monitor, own all consoles released since the original Xbox in 2001 and purchased them on launch, even the the Xbox One S, PS4 Pro and all DS/3DS models. The Switch will be on the list too soon as proper preorders go live.

Its a new games console so I cant resist :)

Soldato

I bought an Xbox One and PS4 on launch but other than Forza and Halo on the Xbox I haven't really spent much time playing either machine. Even less now that MS have started launching their exclusive titles on both PC and XB1 simultaneously. I generally spend most of my gaming time on my PC as the variety of games tends to be better.

I don't have a 4k TV yet so given that, and how little time I've spend playing each console, I've no plans to upgrade to a PS4 Pro or Xbox Scorpio at the moment. I've tried VR (PS and Vive) but I think it's still in the early adopter phase and it'll take another hardware refresh and more development of the headset display/motion technology before it's something I want to buy into.

The Nintendo Switch however I feel will offer a different kind of mobile/tablet experience that I won't get on my gaming PC (or the XB1/PS4) which is why I'm planning on pre-ordering one when they're available. I've never really been interested in portable consoles before but with the Switch being a hybrid I like the fact it gives me the option to game on the go or connect it to a larger display when at home.

Last edited:
Associate

Almost, I almost bought an XB1 back in October, but GoW4 released as a disappointment and I've honestly got nowhere to put the thing/plug it in, since I've got 4 consoles and PC already plugged into my screen. Most of all...

My problem is I buy this stuff, few weeks of play, then never touched again and back to the PC for games. I feel though the Switch may potentially get more use arising from travelling, being in my hotel room etc.

This. Except PC is the same too. I buy games and then rarely play them. I will admit I did complete Uncharted Collection and Ratchet and Clank on PS4 this year. I try and put my time into finishing these games, but there's too many already. I put Skyrim, Batman and Doom to the side to finish Pokemon right now. I'll admit to playing the 3DS a fair bit, as much as I hate it. So the Switch will be a welcome replacement.

I'll probably eventually buy an XB1 just to complete the collection (I just like having all the consoles, regardless of actual use), but so far I've seen no reason to really own one. It took quite a bit (waiting for exclusives) for me to not sell my PS4 and actually unbox and play it. Meanwhile I've played so many hours on WiiU, funnily enough on deep RPGs like Monster Hunter and Xenoblade Chronicles. Fingers crossed a sequel to that game releases on the Switch, I'm prepared to put a few more hundred hours into that franchise!

Soldato
Almost, I almost bought an XB1 back in October, but GoW4 released as a disappointment and I've honestly got nowhere to put the thing/plug it in, since I've got 4 consoles and PC already plugged into my screen.

Microsoft play anywhere, play gears on your PC :)

Associate
From a recent Q&A from Laura Kate Dale...

According to Laura Kate Dale:

two third party exclusive games at launch, with the rumored Rabbids & Mario crossover being one of them

she thinks Retro Games’ new project won’t be talked about at the event in January

initial Virtual Console library won’t be large; small upgrade fee required for games already owned on Wii U / 3DS

20+ new Pokemon for the rumored Pokemon Sun & Moon port on Switch; however Tom Phillips of Eurogamer, who initially leaked the port, doesn’t think this is likely

although most features of the Switch are known (via leaks) at this point, she thinks there are a few surprises left for the January event

one “unexpected new IP” will be shown

Purchases are tied to an account, not a system

the new Mario game will be playable at the various preview & press events in January

Splatoon, Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 are enhanced ports, not entirely new games. Mario Kart is an extensive port, while Smash Bros has minimal new additions

she has heard that Breath of the Wild won’t be available at launch, but Nintendo’s marketing so far seems to contradict this

a short teaser for Beyond Good & Evil 2 is in the works, but she doesn’t know if it will be ready for the January event

like Emily Rogers, she has also heard about Mother 3 from very reputable sources, but she has no clue why it hasn’t materialized yet

Monolith Soft is working on a new game, not a Xenoblade Chronicles X port. This new game will be similar to the Xenoblade games in terms of its combat style

it’s potentially possible to run the Switch at full clock speed in portable mode, though this is likely a developer choice, not a user-level toggle

Miiverse is returning; screenshots and videos can be posted there via the “share” button on the Switch

multiple different development kits are in the hands of developers at the moment, with one that went out in October being more powerful than one that went out in July

Joy-Cons have analogue triggers
some games might support Wii Remotes

http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-laura-kate-dale-on-the-switch-clarified-leaks-bits-of-new-info/

Full selection of salt needed as always.

Soldato
Laura Kate Dale said:
initial Virtual Console library won’t be large; small upgrade fee required for games already owned on Wii U / 3DS

This is one area I'd really like to see Nintendo sort out once and for all. As much as I love their games I'm royally sick of them gouging us for virtual console ports of games we've already bought on previous platforms. It's doubly taking the p**s charging for virtual console games we've already bought as virtual console games on a previous console! How many times do they expect me to have to re-buy Super Mario World!

I can let it slide when it's an updated version of the game (with extra tracks/maps/characters/etc) as with the Wii U ports of Mario Kart/Splatoon/Smash Bros/etc but if it's just a straight up emulated version of the game once you've paid for an electronic copy via their own store linked to your Nintendo account that really should be enough to give you access to play it permanently!

Ideally I'd like to see them offer some kind of subscription service where they give you access to several virtual console games a month to play. Maybe with some speed run or high score challenges added to keep it fresh. It'd be great if they could offer something like Xbox Games with Gold or PS Plus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom