Barbara

Soldato
OP
What happens to them then extra days off or do they have to suck it up?

They need to suck it up, although they do get an extra day's pay for each day they are stuck on. Their back to backs get Christmas off now, and don't lose any pay.

Is the rig secured to the sea bed? How high can the waves be before you're in trouble?

I am currently watching 'Deep Water Horizon' hence the interest.

Yes it's secured to the sea bed, and there's 20 wells drilled so it only rocks around a little. Before all the wells were drilled it would sway all over the place because the jacket is designed to flex else the tubular steel would just snap in weather like this.

The waves you see in the video are around 12 metres, it's 18 metres now and forecast for over 20 metres tomorrow. We are currently all inside and not permitted out until the wind comes down (gusting 80kts right now). The wind is more dangerous than the waves as I'm not sure it's even possible for a wave to reach out lowest deck.

Associate
They need to suck it up, although they do get an extra day's pay for each day they are stuck on. Their back to backs get Christmas off now, and don't lose any pay.

Yes it's secured to the sea bed, and there's 20 wells drilled so it only rocks around a little. Before all the wells were drilled it would sway all over the place because the jacket is designed to flex else the tubular steel would just snap in weather like this.

The waves you see in the video are around 12 metres, it's 18 metres now and forecast for over 20 metres tomorrow. We are currently all inside and not permitted out until the wind comes down (gusting 80kts right now). The wind is more dangerous than the waves as I'm not sure it's even possible for a wave to reach out lowest deck.

80 knots?!

that is 20 knots more than a hurricane!

Soldato
Had to clear the damn rain off my glasses when I came in from the car earlier, really starting to grind my gears this, that's the third time today.

Back
Top Bottom