which type of RAM?

Soldato
Hi there

I have an Asus UX303LA-R4338H laptop that currently has 6gb and would like to upgrade the RAM.

Can someone kindly confirm the following for me please?

a) I can upgrade to 12gb ram only - maximum?
b) The 6gb is soldered onto the motherboard cant be sure, how can i tell without taking the back cover off?
c) if option b is true then there is no point in purchasing a 8gb memory stick? I would be better off going with the 4gb memory stick?
d) if option b is false then I can purchase 8gb and 4gb memory sticks to max it out, is that right?

finally I believe i need ddr3 pc3-12800 1600mhz 204-pin SODIMM is that correct?

if yes can you spec me some decent stuff, I dont care if its cheaper and a few milliseconds out, looking for bang for buck

thank you so much

Soldato
Adbove is a valid question do you actually need it... Also do yourself a favor and just check if you're running 32bit or 64bit windows (go to 'About' on my computer)? If the former it doesn't matter because you will never be able to address more than 4GB (3.5GB outside reserved) anyway.

Pretty common for retails to sell them with '6GB RAM' but preinstalled 32bit OS rendering it pointless.

Soldato
OP
thanks for your help

do you need more than 6gb though ?

I use Visual Studio 2015 , Android Studio and similar programs. I also have VMware on it that is has a copy of linux , windows xp and windows 7 for some testing I need to do between the three OSs. The main OS I am running is Win 10 64bit.

I have never monitored usage so am not entirely sure. It would not hurt having 12gb though just for the sake of having it - what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom