Best way to buy Minecraft for PC?

Soldato
I want to buy minecraft for my niece to use on her Windows 10 laptop, I know nothing about the game and believe there's several ways to buy it. Where and what version (most popular) should I buy?

Soldato
OP
I saw they had an offer on the Windows store for about £7 but wasn't sure it was the best version, so basically the minecraft store version for £17 odd is best?

It's for my young niece, believe me I have no interest in Minecraft lol

Associate
The Windows 10 beta is more akin to Minecraft Pocket Edition but with controller support. I'd be inclined to purchase the Java version, which is much further along in terms of progression.

Soldato
I remember buying Minecraft for about £2 when it was very very new. I never knew it would become so huge.

Impressive game really.

Edit : Just found old email.

-----------------

[email protected]

1/16/11

to me
Hi,

Thank you for purchasing Minecraft!
To play the game, visit http://www.minecraft.net/ and either download the game, or play it directly in your web browser.

-----------------

I've never got hooked on it myself but I can certainly see the appeal.

Last edited:
Associate
Just throwing a spanner in the works here, the java version is the proper one and far more advanced, but if you niece wants to play online and just have fun with friends or/family, I think the Win10 version may be better for her, controller support and the online is much MUCH easier to get working. Java Minecraft (not played in a long time admittedly) you used to have to use hamachi and/or Port forward. It was a nightmare. The Win10 version you just add each other through the Xbox app and join on each other's game

Soldato
Just throwing a spanner in the works here, the java version is the proper one and far more advanced, but if you niece wants to play online and just have fun with friends or/family, I think the Win10 version may be better for her, controller support and the online is much MUCH easier to get working. Java Minecraft (not played in a long time admittedly) you used to have to use hamachi and/or Port forward. It was a nightmare. The Win10 version you just add each other through the Xbox app and join on each other's game

If they're playing on an already hosted server surely they wouldn't have any need to run hamachi etc?

Associate

I agree with this. If her friends are playing on consoles or tablets then get the win10 version. It's easier if you treat the win10 and Java (PC/Mac) versions as separate games which don't play nicely with each other.

If you have bought the Java version, Mojang used to provide customers with keys to unlock the win10 version for free. Worth checking it out.

Soldato
My 8 year old is similarly hooked on DanTDM Videos (who comes up after pressing just D on youtube and must be raking in money). We use and would recommend the Java/PC version of Minecraft, we redeemed the win 10 version for free also, thats installed with a view of one day sorting out cross platform play, though I can't currently see a decent way of doing that.

Man of Honour
I remember buying Minecraft for about £2 when it was very very new. I never knew it would become so huge.

Impressive game really.

Edit : Just found old email.

-----------------

[email protected]

1/16/11

to me
Hi,

Thank you for purchasing Minecraft!
To play the game, visit http://www.minecraft.net/ and either download the game, or play it directly in your web browser.

-----------------

I've never got hooked on it myself but I can certainly see the appeal.

I'd played and got bored of Minecraft by 2009 - its kind of strange to see what it has become and even stranger how people can continue to be completely absorbed by it (even taking into account some of the newer mechanics) for years and years.

Associate
windows 10 version runs slickly and has just reached version 1
my 8 year old loves it and plays it in all sorts of creative ways

Back
Top Bottom