Which 1060 laptop?

Soldato
Hi

Bought XCom2 the other day and my 750m really struggles to run it. Its been fine churning through CIV6 and FM (does Skyrim some justice (not the newer version) but its starting to creep in general. Probably just needs a format and start again, but also probably time to upgrade.

So i've been looking at the 1060 gpu, looks like a real game changer in mobile gaming so fancied the plunge. MSI, Gigabyte, Asus all seem to do something similar but with no experience of them no idea what these are like in reality. For me the quietest one would probably be my top preference, but then there g-sync, panel quality and the list goes on...so thought i'd come and ask the experts :)

Budget would be £1400 max

PS: I've a 660 in a pretty decent rig sat behind my home cinema, i have thought of dropping a 1060 in that but steam stream is choppy of wifi and background blocky over home plugs.

Soldato
Not sure if it helps but the 1050/1050ti laptops are due soon.

There has been a release of the Dell XPS with the 1050 already seen.

They wont be cheap, but cheaper than the 1060 laptops anyways, maybe £900 and the card should be more than capable of the games you mention

Soldato
I've used custom built Clevo laptops for the past decade, and they have always been, without a doubt, best value for money and performance. For £1400, you should be able to get a pretty damned good once with a 1060/1070.

The offering from MSI, which is the other obvious one at the moment, just don't come close as far as I'm concerned.

Soldato
Spec for spec the Clevo's come out at the same price roughly as the MSI/Gigbayte/Asus models... in fact more expensive than the Asus models generally.

What makes the Clevo better value and performance?

Soldato
OP
Didn't think about a 1050ti, good shout.

I've had a clevo based laptop before, big, noisy, thermal reactor which failed several times in various ways before the gpu died...so not a massive fan of them.

TBH it's why cooling is important. I couldn't hear myself think with the old clevo (think it was a 8800gtx sli) running desktop nevermind in game.

Thanks for the replies guys. Merry Christmas. :)

Back
Top Bottom