10Mbit interfaces on 100Mbit network

Associate
If I have 2 10Mbit devices each connected to a different 100Mbit switch and a cable between the switches, does the data between the switches transfer the data at 10 or 100Mbit? I can't seem to find information on this :(
I suspect it transfers at 100Mbit, I can't test it tho as I haven't got the devices yet.

Associate
OP
It still isn't clear to me if the packets between the switches are at 10M or 100M. From what I have read, switches analyse packets and drop bad ones, so they must be buffering, which would allow for retransmission at a higher rate between the switches, but do they?
If they retransmitted at 10MBit they would use 10x the bandwidth than is necessary :(

Don
Switches will connect to each other as fast as they can. So in this case, 100Mbit. So if those devices are talking to each other, the switch ports will be running at 10% of their capacity.

Associate
It'll be 10 mbps, unless the inter-switch link is over-utilised, which means it could drop below 10 (from those clients).

Associate
OP
I was hoping that would be the case, there will be other (yet to be determined) stuff connected to the switches and sharing the bandwidth of the connection between them.

Don
I think some clarification is needed in this thread.

The switches will connect at whatever speed the switch ports are.

So if they are 100Mbit ports, you could have 10x 10mbit devices on each switch and that would fully saturate the connection, assuming they are all maxing out their transfer speeds.

Caporegime
Your mistake is to think about link capacity in terms of the speed that frames are sent down the wire, which isn't how it works.

In your scenario the two switches will link together at 100Mbps. The data being transferred between your two 10Mbps devices won't 'speed up' when it arrives at the switches, since that's not what Megabits is a measure of.

Back
Top Bottom