Maximum sofa size to go up stairs?

Caporegime
I'm looking at buying a new sofa but I'm trying to work out the maximum size that would go up the stairs. Obviously I could just buy another 2 seater of the same size as the one we currently have but wanted something slightly bigger.

The first 3 steps are half steps which go 90 degrees to the right, the clearance between the roof and the first step on the straight section is 73.5 in, is this the correct way to work out what the longest sofa would fit?

Associate
When I had to do this I tried to work it out but ended up getting some cardboard and making a rough box of about the right size. Really helps to visualise what will/will not fit.

Soldato
Totally depends on the sofa.

For example my sofa was available as a 3 seater or a 4 seater. The 4 seater actually came in two pieces whereas the 3 seater was 1 bigger piece meaning the 4 seater was easier to manoeuvre (we wanted the 4seater regardless)

Basically go look and maybe look at stuff that comes apart.

Associate
i feel like this could be appropriate

133988540b85a948c85d69935ded3e5c.jpg

Soldato
With a lot of modern sofas, you can take the arms off (remove bottom material cover (usually attached with velcro) and then undo the bolts)

Just ask in store or online

Soldato
We bought a couple of sofas from Sofa Workshop for our basement TV room. The staircase down is pretty narrow and has a sharp turn at the bottom. They sent someone out to measure the staircase and made recommendations based on those measurements. I think one sofa was actually two pieces bolted together on site and the other just had removable arms.

Of course, despite the measurements, one of the sofas they made wouldn't fit down the stairs and they had to remake it. Thankfully at their expense! :D

Associate
My 3 seater arrived in 4 sections so would be a breeze getting up any stairs.

So you ideally need to look at what sofas you want and ask them maybe how it arrives?

Back
Top Bottom