PlayStation VR / VR2

Soldato
Picked one of these up at the start of the month to be given as a Christmas present. Overall it's a nice sample of what VR has to offer but my only concern is how poor the visuals are. Have I set this thing up wrong?

It just looks very low resolution and anything over 10ft away in game is indistinguishable. You can visibly see pixels and aliasing. This is with a Pro.

Can anyone advise? I was always told that the feeds shown from outlets are usually from the share screen and don't give you the same quality as the headset but the TV share looks infinitely better than the headset!

Soldato
Picked one of these up at the start of the month to be given as a Christmas present. Overall it's a nice sample of what VR has to offer but my only concern is how poor the visuals are. Have I set this thing up wrong?

It just looks very low resolution and anything over 10ft away in game is indistinguishable. You can visibly see pixels and aliasing. This is with a Pro.

Can anyone advise? I was always told that the feeds shown from outlets are usually from the share screen and don't give you the same quality as the headset but the TV share looks infinitely better than the headset!

Yeah that's what it looks like. You're trading visuals for a different kind of experience. I find simple and darker games tend to look better.

I love VR and the psvr is a very nice piece of kit, but it's also very gen 1 and a taste of how good things will get down the line. Get Headmaster :)

Soldato
yeah, the graphics aren't great. They say driveclub is the worst, but I spent 30mins driving around with a huge grin on my face. Flinching when you drive into a lamp post is just wrong :D

Soldato
Got this running on pc last night with steam, my xfired 7950s weren't the best choice but it works. Briefly played elite dangerous and project cars with a youtube sbs vid for good measure.

Associate
Got this running on pc last night with steam, my xfired 7950s weren't the best choice but it works. Briefly played elite dangerous and project cars with a youtube sbs vid for good measure.

Does it work well? Tempted to try it out as there a lot more vr games to play via steam.

What did you use to get it working and have you tried the Alien isolation vr hack?

Soldato
used trinus, head tracking works fine, had to change pixel display to rgb 4:4:4 for it to display from my amd cards. It's a bit of a chore switching between things but promising start.

will try and see if i can get alien to work later.

Soldato
I don't have a PS4 Pro, but last night I thought I would try the HDR mode they added to uncharted 4 to see how it worked on the standard PS4

I couldn't work out why it wouldn't enable until I remembered about the breakout box not supporting HDR pass-through

What a silly thing for Sony to not consider. Do you think they might release another breakout box in future with HDR pass-through?

I agree, massive oversight. Is there any way round it via splitters?

Associate
Hope there's some good stuff on the way this year for psvr! Even the indie games that appear on steam would be fine.

Syren looks promising if you havnt seen it yet. Got a Alien Isolation kind of look to it.

Oh and Modern Zombie Taxi looks fun :)

Last edited:
Associate
I still can't make up my mind on whether to take the plunge!

Games that interest me are:

Battlezone
Eve: Valkyrie
Resident Evil
Farpoint (with aim controller)
Ace Combat 7

Here's a vid of AC7 if anyone is interested

Soldato
Resident Evil 7 was a miss for me but now I have VR it's the best experience I've had on it! It is epic. Day one for me and I'll play for 10 minutes at a time until finished.

The Star Wars demo is killer also!

It reminds me of the Wii, looks bad but the gameplay makes up for it!

Soldato
I wasn't that impressed with the Star Wars VR level. At least the flying parts. Now that bit at the start when the ATAT walks by - wow :) And I liked looking at the X-Wing from the outside and inside. Like with Eve tho, the flying/combat didn't do anything for me.

Have to agree re. Resident Evil 7 - it takes it to a new level. I hadn't tried it in 2D, but a mate who had came by and he was super impressed. He kept stopping to look at things up close that in 2D he strolled by. This is what VR developers need to grasp - VR is most fun when you just get to move around and look at stuff. Shoe horning in traditional gameplay is never going to work. Anyways- day one purchase!

Associate
Resident Evil 7 was a miss for me but now I have VR it's the best experience I've had on it! It is epic. Day one for me and I'll play for 10 minutes at a time until finished.

The Star Wars demo is killer also!

It reminds me of the Wii, looks bad but the gameplay makes up for it!

Just a massive shame the Star Wars demo was just that - a demo!

I don't think it looks bad just not up to standard with the latest ps4 releases. I still need to determine if the pro will make much difference as well.

Associate
Pretty sure you cannot use mouse/keyboard combo on ps4, mainly to ensure a level playing field for online play.

Motion sickness is still my main concern with the Psvr, I've read you can try things like travel sickness wrist bands or using ginger to help and that you need to slowly build up your tolerance by playing in shorter sessions. However, I've also read that some users cannot get over it which worries me a little. I played Eve, Drive Club and Battlezone for a combined total of around 15 mins and felt a little motion sick :(

Soldato
Games I have for VR

VR Worlds
DriveClub
Eve
Batman
Rigs
Rush of Blood

Hardly played any of them as I've spend most of the time on the Star Wars VR level. Love it!

Need to find the motion controllers really for london heist

Back
Top Bottom